Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
New at this, looking for "next time, try this..." >

New at this, looking for "next time, try this..."

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

New at this, looking for "next time, try this..."

Old 05-05-2014, 04:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default New at this, looking for "next time, try this..."

I have hunted for years, everything but turkey. My turkey "experience" is two youth hunts where I tagged along as my sons hunted, but with a hunting friend who did the calling. These ended well:

1) Took 15 minutes, gobbled at first light, came in nice, 12 year old son shot him at 10 feet. 19 lbs

2) Took til 10, but came on a run, 15 year old son shot him at 20 yds. 20 lbs

My personal turkey "experience" is one jake with a bow last October, wasn't turkey hunting, but in a deer stand, they came in caught me drawing (we have fall archery season), called them back and shot jake.

It's fun and I'm trying to figure it out, my wife comes along when she can, so I am calling and she's the shooter. this past weekend was opening season, here's how it went, no shots, but fun:

- Saturday got to where we wanted to be before light, only to find a truck already there, so we went to another spot. At first light I yelped one answered FAR away. This was the first turkey my wife heard gobble in the woods. Was in the general direction of teh field I wanted to be in, so we didn't move closer, aftraid to interfere with whoever was down there. Also she saw two deer. Driving out later on a dirt road, a jake ran across the road in front of us. We headed down the road a bit, quietly got out tried to run up along a field and get past him and call him. Nothing.

- Sunday I was in the field I wanted to be in Saturday. Was light rain/fog. I was setup before light, one hen decoy 15 yards infront of me. Quiet yelps as it got light. Nothing. After it'd been light for awhile I heard two fly down into the woods next to the field. I called quietly and sat. 10 minutes later they walked out about 100 yards from me. A hen and a struttin tom. I purred quietly and one soft yelp and the hen came my way with the tom on toe. tom was strutting his stuff the entire way, was fun to watch. hen passed at 30 yards, tom took his sweet time. Hen made it to the edge of the woods, turned and yelped, then stepped into the woods. That got the toms attention and he made a b-line to follow, but on a different path that took him 40-50 yards from me at the closest.

they went into the woods and he never made a call. she was making some very quiet yelps while in the field, he was actually making some quiets "pffft" sound as he strutted and walked in circles.

I figured maybe he'd come back later after he was done with her. I sat quietly and called softly every 15-20 minutes. About 90 minutes later from the direction they went, sure enough he gobbled, not in response to me, just out of the blue. He was a ways off. I answered and he gobbled again. I gave it about a minute and called softly again, he gobbled again, coming closer. Now at this point I am sure he's coming, but from behind me, immediately behind me was thick and I couldn't see.

I continued to call quietly every few minutes and he continued to gobble every time and some on his own. He ended up 10 yds behind my right shoulder gobbling his head off. I could barely see him as he moved, but not good enough to shoot. He stayed there gobbling and strutting for another 5 minutes. I needed him to finish coming to the field where the decoy was. At one point I think he saw me move as I turned my head to try and call "away" from him. Next I heard was about 2-3 minutes later and he was moving off.

I quickly moved into the woods to try and entice him back, but NOTHING. After about 15 minutes he gobbled again, FAR away.

I thought I knew where he was so I took off after him. I didn't call at all, just moved as fast and quiet as I could, I figured he was two fields over on the other side of that field. When I got to the edge of that second field, he gobbled again, I was closing in. So I figured I'd get across this field to the edge of the woods and try to call him back out.

Oooops. He was walking the field edge, I saw him as I crested the rise in the field. I immediately dropped down, but I think he saw me as I never heard him or saw him again. I dropped into the woods 75 yards and moved fast around in front of him, hoping to pull him in, but never heard or saw him.

I lost.

So, questions:

1) Is there anything I can do when he's with a hen infront of me to change his chosen path to bring him closer, or am I just out of luck?

2) when he did come back, should I have changed position and gotten 10 yards into the woods rather than sit in the field with him coming in behind me?

3) did I screw it all up by chasing him?

4) I am using a 20 guage with 3 inch mag turkey loads out of a full choke. Is 40 yds to far?

He seemed hot to find a hen as he was gobbling by himself as he walked.

any advice for "next time" would be appreciated!
Old 05-05-2014, 09:06 AM
Spike

"Is 40 yards too far?"

What are the results of your patterning tests on the range? Got pics?
Old 05-05-2014, 01:25 PM
Fork Horn

It's tough when a Tom is following a hen, try to duplicate
whatever the hen is saying except a little louder and cut
her off with your response whenever you can. If your
lucky and get her mad she will come to give you a
trouncing and bring the Tom with her.

Yes when a bird is coming from behind change positions
unless you think he will see you. I've even stood but before and
leaned against the tree because I couldn't move to the back
side of it.

Chasing is okay, just got to be careful not to get busted, it's
not easy and every good Turkey hunter has been busted
many times.

20 guage---first get a real turkey choke , second pattern
your shotgun to find the best shell for it, every gun has
a best shell for Turkey hunting---once you find it 40
yards should be doable.

Best of Luck!
Old 05-06-2014, 04:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

The gun has been pattened out to 30 from when my son was using it in youth season. It's a youth Mossberg model 500. At 30 it was still pretty tight putting lots of pellets in the head/neck. I've never gotten serious about turkey hunting until this year, due to other time commitments related to the kids (big soccer family), but they are older and the younger one is graduating college in 2 weeks, so I get my time back. Wife and I love hunting together so over the next off-season I will be investing in a turkey gun for me.

It is fun! I wish my wife came Sunday, but she had a road race to run, so slept in. I had a blast even though I didn't get one! Just wasn't comfortable with that shot since I don't know what the gun does at that distance.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:33 AM
Spike

Bob, great story, thanks for sharing. Next time try putting a jake decoy with your hen. I think this might have finished the deal both times you had him. Also, when they get close I stop calling and let my decoys finish - otherwise they keep looking for the source if the calls.