Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Interesting night!

Old 04-30-2014, 05:23 PM
neb
Typical Buck

Default Interesting night!

Well, I finally got out tonight after a week of rain, snow and wind. We have had so much wind I haven't tried bow hunting because of the wind and don't want to make a bad shot so I been taking the shot gun.
Well tonight everything worked like it was suppose to. Hen's been talking with very few gobbles all year and to night was no different. A hen was talking and I was talking right back and cutting her off. Well her she came with another hen and here comes Mr. Tom. I thought this was a done deal right!! Well the gun wouldn't fire and this happened 4 times with me ejecting the shell and chambering another shell and click!! Not sure what the heck went wrong but it wasn't suppose to happen. LOL I was using a Benelli tomorrow night the 870 will be in my hands. LOL

Last edited by neb; 04-30-2014 at 05:38 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:28 PM
Typical Buck

oh man that stinks...i worry about that all the time but i didnt figure it ever really happend
Old 04-30-2014, 05:57 PM
Typical Buck

4 shells, 4 clicks? Sounds like a firing pin is broke or fubard somewhere in there.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:08 PM
neb
Typical Buck

Not sure, I didn't investigate the shell but I looked like everything was fine with the gun. The one thing it could be is that I left one 3 inch shell on the chair in the blind and we had a lot of rain and about 5 inches of snow and the shell was wet or something like that. The shell didn't seem wet when I first put it in the gun. I jus had one shell so I was using the same shell. It only takes one shot so I never brought any more shells with me. I did have a few more in the truck. LOL
Old 04-30-2014, 06:12 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by neb
Not sure, I didn't investigate the shell but I looked like everything was fine with the gun. The one thing it could be is that I left one 3 inch shell on the chair in the blind and we had a lot of rain and about 5 inches of snow and the shell was wet or something like that. The shell didn't seem wet when I first put it in the gun. I jus had one shell so I was using the same shell. It only takes one shot so I never brought any more shells with me. I did have a few more in the truck. LOL
I bet you WONT DO THAT AGAIN!!!

The old "1 shot, 1 shell" type huh?

I rarely carry extra ammo but I at least DO carry the gun fully loaded!
Old 04-30-2014, 06:47 PM
neb
Typical Buck

HatchieLuvr
Yep I have done it for years take one shell or two. That all it takes and never had a problem before! LOL Oh well it is what it is but it was a good show anyway. The hens where 10 feet from the blind just a making a fuss and the Tom was doing what they do best. He gave me every opportunity in the world. When I first got there I looked down below and there where at least 4 big Toms down there. That when I got set up and thigs started to get interesting.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:30 AM
Fork Horn

I had that happen to me once deer hunting with my Mossburg 535, which has the chamber release in a bad spot. I must have pushed it and the chamber opened just enough to not allow the gun to fire.

If the problem was the shell, the firing pin should have still left an indentation on the back of the shell.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:15 AM
Typical Buck

Hate to hear that neb, hope you have better luck next time out
Old 05-01-2014, 06:07 PM
neb
Typical Buck

Went out again tonight and I took a look at the shell. Nothing wrong with the gun. The firing pin was hitting dead center on the shell so the shell was damp and it just didn't fire.

They where gobbling tonight but they never showed up. I will give it a try in the morning for a few hours then off to fishing.