Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Hens are talking no gobbling?? >

Hens are talking no gobbling??

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Hens are talking no gobbling??

Old 04-24-2014, 05:29 PM
neb
Typical Buck

Default Hens are talking no gobbling??

First congrat to all who have taken a bird this year! It has been a tough year so far for me. The hens are talking back and I just can't believe it but only heard a couple gobbles so far. I'm not sure what to think of this. Anyone have any suggestions.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

There are times that they just will not gobble period and I do not know why that is.. What I did last year was concentrate on the hens.. 2 Toms came in and I nailed the one that looked straight at me while I was trying to see which one was the biggest. They never gobbled not even once.. I am thinking it is because of predators being in the area?? I really have no idea why they do this at times though.. perhaps they are henned up and you have to wait them out?

You may also want to check out under the sticky for Thoughts on Working Birds as it is a great read and has some decent ideas..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 04-24-2014 at 05:44 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:28 PM
JW
Super Moderator

All the birds to date I have called in (total of 9 Toms 6 Jakes) did not gobble much at all......but when a hen talks to me (3 out of 5 Kills)forget the Tom and tick that hen off by mimicking her note for note, yelp for yelp, cluck for cluck, when she stops you stop, but when she calls cut her off you call, and do it with more urgency.
Cuz when Jennie gets mad and comes your way guess what follows her?

JW
Old 04-24-2014, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is no need for a tom to gobble if he already has hens with him.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:09 PM
neb
Typical Buck

Thanks, you guys got it figured out. I will give it a try in the morning and see what happens. Last weekend I had my son with me and the hens keep on ad on and I talked back at them and they just wouldn't show up. Tonight was the same story. LOL I will wait them out and I may get a chance yet. I will let you know how I do. Thanks so much for the help.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:10 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by JW
All the birds to date I have called in (total of 9 Toms 6 Jakes) did not gobble much at all......but when a hen talks to me (3 out of 5 Kills)forget the Tom and tick that hen off by mimicking her note for note, yelp for yelp, cluck for cluck, when she stops you stop, but when she calls cut her off you call, and do it with more urgency.
Cuz when Jennie gets mad and comes your way guess what follows her?

JW

X2!
Old 04-25-2014, 03:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's gonna be one of those years I just got a feelin...
Old 04-25-2014, 06:25 PM
neb
Typical Buck

Hens still talking back and still no luck!! LOL I tried to tick them off this morning but they didn't show up. I keep plugging away and see what happens.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:01 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Phil from Maine
There are times that they just will not gobble period and I do not know why that is.. What I did last year was concentrate on the hens.. 2 Toms came in and I nailed the one that looked straight at me while I was trying to see which one was the biggest. They never gobbled not even once.. I am thinking it is because of predators being in the area?? I really have no idea why they do this at times though.. perhaps they are henned up and you have to wait them out?

You may also want to check out under the sticky for Thoughts on Working Birds as it is a great read and has some decent ideas..
I've had some ole timers tell me the same regarding the predators and the toms not gobbling. We are having the same problem. Lots of coyotes on the property.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:34 PM
neb
Typical Buck

Went out this morning before the wind started to blow. I'm set up on a bench above the river bottom with heavy tree and brush. When I looked over I seen two toms or jakes and got in the blind and started to call. I heard nothing ad they walked off. I'm thinking they have been over called in this area. I hunt private land but I do know they have been hunted on land around me. It really has been an interesting year so far. LOL I will give it a few more tries before the season closes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.