Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

First Turkey hunt

Old 03-31-2014, 02:54 AM
Fork Horn

Default First Turkey hunt

This season will be my first Turkey hunt. "Forgive my stupidity"
Gun of choice Mossburg 535. Where is the best shot placement as to do little damage to the bird?

Thanks in advance
Old 03-31-2014, 04:52 AM
JW
Super Moderator

The head and neck and only the head and neck. Any body shots using any shotgun will only cripple the bird to which it will run and hide.

JW
Old 03-31-2014, 06:03 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by JW
The head and neck and only the head and neck. Any body shots using any shotgun will only cripple the bird to which it will run and hide.

JW
JW,

Thank you.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:21 PM
Typical Buck

I like to aim about half way between the head and bottom of the neck that way you have some room for error, and the bbs have a larger target than if you just aimed at the head.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:50 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by theshark
This season will be my first Turkey hunt. "Forgive my stupidity"
Gun of choice Mossburg 535. Where is the best shot placement as to do little damage to the bird?

Thanks in advance
You can do your self a big favor by patterning your shotgun before you hunt.
It does several things.
Helps determines your maximum range. (Any good pattern at 20 yards will definitely kill that turkey - however much past that you need to really know your pattern.)
My rule of thumb is 8 to 10 pellet holes in the neck vertebrae and turkey's skull and/or eye. I do not count holes in anything but those regions.
I get consistency of 8 to 10 pellets or better in those regions and that tells me my lethal range. Any less than that I do not take the shot as this patterning determines what is not in range.
Tough thing to do you will see.
Helps determine if you have any holes in your pattern.
Gives you the confidence that once that shot is there you know you can do it.

Know your ranges - use a range finder if you have one and if not and you do have the chance, pace out 20 steps and place a stick in the ground. Then make that your goal to call the bird too.
If you can't do that. Practice knowing your ranges and practice some more.
Last thing you want to do is take the shot only to see the bird run away wounded!!! Been there done that and its not fun!
So I don't take iffy shots.......I know once I pull that trigger - Mr. Tom will be mine.

Turkey hunting for me is calling that bird up close and personal. I rarely take shots past 30 yards anymore. Actually in the 28 yrs my avg is 22 paces from where I sit.

JW
Old 04-02-2014, 05:30 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks JW,

Is there any way to adjust the pattern??
Old 04-02-2014, 05:56 AM
Spike

I Agree with JW if you shoot it with shotgun you will ruin the hide and only shoot it in the head or neck because it may not penatrate through all the feathers
Old 04-02-2014, 07:20 AM
Typical Buck

one thing that can help if your gun don't pattern right the first time you shoot is to try 3 or 4 different brands of shells and also maby try 4 & 5 shot both. shotguns are like women...they are very picky, and everyone of em likes something different.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

My aim point is the neck, just under the gobbler's wattles.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ditto ... head and neck is the kill region. Ditto ... pellet count in the kill zone advice is right on.

As far as "adjusting" pattern, I know of no way to "fill" holes in a particular pattern other than changing shot shell or choke. If it is point of impact that is off, you can either aim compensate (which would be tough for me to do), adjust the sights if possible or try an after market sight system.

In my book patterning is a must. And I would use a "turkey" target. If the pattern is evenly dispersed with 8-10 pellets in the kill zone at 35-40 yards, it is a good choice. If it is not evenly dispersed or the number of pellets in the kill zone is weak, then buy another and try it. Lots of folks go for a 3 1/2" shell. I am one that does, though I do not believe it is a neccessary evil. The recoil can be evil and you may not want to deal with that.

You may also want to try a screw in "turkey choke". Several good ones are out there. These are typically an X-Full to X-Full+, ported, barrel extender.

If you are not familiar with shot shells labeled specifically for use on turkey, you can pay from about $1 each to about $10 each. Most will be #4 to #6 shot or some mix of shot size (such as the Nitro brand). Depending upon which brand you buy.

Good luck and hope you bag a good 'un.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.