Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

am i just crazy???

Old 02-25-2014, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds about par with me also.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:55 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by buckman11
hi,
I want to start by sayin im a hardcore turkey hunter. I often have nightmares that I oversleep opening morning of turkey season, so maby that will help the rest of this post not sound so rediculas.

The night before opening morning I take everything off my dining room table. I bring all my decoys, calls, gun, shells, clothing, boots, vest, even underpants in to the dining room and spread it out over the dining room table, so it is right there when I get up in the morning. Now this is the part im kinda emmbarased about. As I said I am terrified of missing opening morning so I set 7 alarms. I use a mixture of alarm clocks, my phone, and some windup clocks. the sun rises at 6:30 in sw mo durin spring season, but I set all my alarms for 4:00. I get dressed and sit in my chair and drink coffe until 5:00. and after all that I finally get to turkey hunt.

so my question is. do other people prepare like this, or am I just crazy?
I WOULD say that you ARE nuttier than a squirrel turd... BUT you are in SW MO! For those that have never turkey hunted the Ozarks of MO they THEY DON'T UNDERSTAND!!!

For 20 seasons from 1985-2006 I had the PLEASURE & GOD GIVEN PRIVILEGE of having a 10k+ acre section of family land to turkey and deer hunt on just south of Mountain View, MO (just east of West Plains). There simply IS NOT a FINER region to turkey hunt on the GLOBE!!! Over the years we had names like Memphis area call makers Roy "Golden Gobbler" Rhodes & Frank Cox, Chuck Jones of Knight & Hale who was originally from West Plains, Mr. Robert "The Last Call" Clifft of Bolivar TN and several other "industry experts" up to hunt on the ranch and ALL of them were simply AMAZED after a morning or two of "Missouri Music"! I was 16 when I killed my first bird up there in 1987 and I took MANY birds up there over the next 2 decades. The 2yr old birds weighed well over 20#s and toted 10"-11"+ beards. The 4+yr old birds ALL weighed OVER 25#s and usually had 11.5"-13"+ bears as well as 1.75" spurs (if they hadn't wore them down on those steep, rocky ridges)

DEAR GOD would those birds THUNDER!!! Like I said it was a large ranch and with the rolling terrain we could hear and chase birds for MILES but usually that was never necessary. We'd just start the day on a few choice listening areas and typically very quickly were "in the action". Did I mention those birds were VOCAL??? Even when Chuck Jones came up he was AMAZED. He said, "You know where all I've been and I thought I'd seen it all but I've NEVER heard or seen ANY place like this ranch. Yall got a pretty special place here!" (Sadly in 2005 a death in the family, lawsuits and lawyers put an end to all that within a year or two! )

BUT I don't cry over the spilled milk, I just relish the 2 decades I enjoyed and learned there. I hope some day to get back up in the Ozarks with my now teen aged boys and let them likewise hear that "Missouri Music"...

A gobbler by anyother gobbler just AINT the same as they are in the Ozarks!!!
Old 02-25-2014, 02:21 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by HatchieLuvr
I WOULD say that you ARE nuttier than a squirrel turd... BUT you are in SW MO! For those that have never turkey hunted the Ozarks of MO they THEY DON'T UNDERSTAND!!!

For 20 seasons from 1985-2006 I had the PLEASURE & GOD GIVEN PRIVILEGE of having a 10k+ acre section of family land to turkey and deer hunt on just south of Mountain View, MO (just east of West Plains). There simply IS NOT a FINER region to turkey hunt on the GLOBE!!! Over the years we had names like Memphis area call makers Roy "Golden Gobbler" Rhodes & Frank Cox, Chuck Jones of Knight & Hale who was originally from West Plains, Mr. Robert "The Last Call" Clifft of Bolivar TN and several other "industry experts" up to hunt on the ranch and ALL of them were simply AMAZED after a morning or two of "Missouri Music"! I was 16 when I killed my first bird up there in 1987 and I took MANY birds up there over the next 2 decades. The 2yr old birds weighed well over 20#s and toted 10"-11"+ beards. The 4+yr old birds ALL weighed OVER 25#s and usually had 11.5"-13"+ bears as well as 1.75" spurs (if they hadn't wore them down on those steep, rocky ridges)

DEAR GOD would those birds THUNDER!!! Like I said it was a large ranch and with the rolling terrain we could hear and chase birds for MILES but usually that was never necessary. We'd just start the day on a few choice listening areas and typically very quickly were "in the action". Did I mention those birds were VOCAL??? Even when Chuck Jones came up he was AMAZED. He said, "You know where all I've been and I thought I'd seen it all but I've NEVER heard or seen ANY place like this ranch. Yall got a pretty special place here!" (Sadly in 2005 a death in the family, lawsuits and lawyers put an end to all that within a year or two! )

BUT I don't cry over the spilled milk, I just relish the 2 decades I enjoyed and learned there. I hope some day to get back up in the Ozarks with my now teen aged boys and let them likewise hear that "Missouri Music"...

A gobbler by anyother gobbler just AINT the same as they are in the Ozarks!!!
I hear ya. it is a privlage to hunt turkeys here every year.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

A turkey hunter is just a duck hunter with his brains knocked out.
RR
Old 02-25-2014, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

buckman I Do the same thing at hunting camp... I mt my vest on table set out my close and boots and re pack vest that night making sure I haven't forgot anything and sometime triple check things... but come morning im ready!!! let get it on baby
Old 02-26-2014, 02:43 AM
Spike

Sounds about right. I think I usually start that process a good week earlier. My wife always wants to know why all that, "stuff" needs to be out so early and when it will be cleaned up. I don't have a good answer for her!
Old 02-26-2014, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by livcoop
Sounds about right. I think I usually start that process a good week earlier. My wife always wants to know why all that, "stuff" needs to be out so early and when it will be cleaned up. I don't have a good answer for her!
After many years of marriage,my wife has learned to just ask "and when does this season end"?LOL
Old 02-26-2014, 06:51 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by FlDeerman
After many years of marriage,my wife has learned to just ask "and when does this season end"?LOL
My wife has somewhat learned to just deal with it ever since she got a taste of some fried turkey nuggets. I divvy the meat up into serving size quart freezer bags to make it last all year long. I only have one bag left. Almost time to restock.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hate getting up before 8:00am I did the dark:30 for 25 years...
Old 02-26-2014, 03:37 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by FlDeerman
She used to ask that but now she knows when one season ends there is always another one about to start.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.