Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
10ga choke ? For hevi shot >

10ga choke ? For hevi shot

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

10ga choke ? For hevi shot

Old 02-24-2014, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default 10ga choke ? For hevi shot

I have a NEF 10ga and at 40 yards it's marginal at best... I've try end several quality choke and right now my best pattern is with a Tru Glow Gobbler Stopper choke...

The constriction is .690... Is that to tight for hevi shot ???
Old 02-25-2014, 05:11 AM
Fork Horn

What shell and size shot are you shooting out of it?

.690 shouldn't be. I shoot both a .680 and a .695 Jellyhead out of my SP-10 with good results. I Use Federal Heavyweight #7's and Nitro straight 7's.

Search through here and see if there is anything here:

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/board,11.0.html

Gman
Old 02-25-2014, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've read a lot about the fed HW turkey loads in #7's having good penetration at 40 yards... so I just ordered a box of 5... I plan to shoot them at 40 and 50 yards and compare penetration with the lead #5's at the same distance... Ill be sure to post results as soon as the weather breaks hopefully by middle of next month... if they pattern good and penetration is good I may think about them in my 12ga guns also... But that remains to be seen
Old 02-25-2014, 04:12 PM
Fork Horn

They're finicky to get to pattern but once found, they are definitely the load to use. They should be close to equal lead #4 lead for penetration. Actual Hevi 13 is equal to #5 lead in penetration.

Gman
Old 02-25-2014, 04:21 PM
Fork Horn

I used that same gun for several years with a .690 Kicks choke and I used Nitro Company shells. Unbelievable shooting gun both in range and pattern. The only drawback was the thumping I took but birds folded. I sold the gun and now shoot an 870 with Nitro shells. Honestly I was getting walloped too hard.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

whats the deal on nitro... Do they use the hevi weight shot also or do they use the hevi 13 type???
Old 02-26-2014, 06:00 AM
Fork Horn

They advertise their stuff as Hevi-shot and now Mega-Hevi. The ammo is very expensive but very effective. So expensive that it is costly to shoot just to pattern the gun. It is the best I have used, albeit maybe overkill. Just my $.02.