Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Spring Turkey Shawnee National Forest (IL) >

Spring Turkey Shawnee National Forest (IL)

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Spring Turkey Shawnee National Forest (IL)

Old 12-10-2013, 09:27 AM
Spike

Default Spring Turkey Shawnee National Forest (IL)

Anyone ever hunt turkeys in the spring down in Shawnee National Forest, put in for lottery tags down in there in Pope county and was wondering if anyone had ever been down there and had some pointers. Have hunted other state lands in IL with limited success but have never been down that way.

Thanks
Old 12-15-2013, 03:16 PM
Fork Horn

My sister lives there good hunting may I can ask her if you can hunt.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:29 PM
Fork Horn

you talking about Shawnee forest in ohio?
Old 01-21-2014, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Wysocki22
Anyone ever hunt turkeys in the spring down in Shawnee National Forest, put in for lottery tags down in there in Pope county and was wondering if anyone had ever been down there and had some pointers. Have hunted other state lands in IL with limited success but have never been down that way.

Thanks
I have alot of friends who live and hunt there and sorrounding area. I hunted this past spring 5th season in Johnson Co.and killed my first ever turkey there. ALOT of turkeys!!!! Lots of public property as well. Just have to get hold of the DNR and they can get ya maps and maybe even some places to go. They are really helpful down there. Have to be careful of the snakes!!!!!! LOTS of cottonmouths and copperheads!!!!! A few rattlers when you get in the rocky areas. I have friends who live in the Vienna and south all the way to the river and they are forever running into poisonous snakes all spring, summer and early fall. Johnny almost sat on one in the base of a fallen over oak tree. He was going to sit on top of the log against the root ball and call. Just happen to notice something looked wrong. Looked a bit closer and noticed a 3 foot copperhead coiled up right where he was about to sit!!!