Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Easy way to measure turkeys spurs and beard. >

Easy way to measure turkeys spurs and beard.

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Easy way to measure turkeys spurs and beard.

Old 07-06-2013, 05:34 AM
Typical Buck

Default Easy way to measure turkeys spurs and beard.

If you turkey hunt and records there spurs and beard you are gong to want a Gobbler Gauge. The gobbler gauge measures them in MM. Check it out at www.gobblergauge.com.
Attached Thumbnails Easy way to measure turkeys spurs and beard.-gobbler-gauge.jpg  
Old 07-06-2013, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator

Looks good. Here in Indiana we have to measure the spurs in MM
Old 07-07-2013, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

How do you follow the curves with that ? MM seem to be the going thing all over..
Old 07-07-2013, 07:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Adrian J Hare
How do you follow the curves with that ? MM seem to be the going thing all over..
***Look on their website, as there is a video that shows a tape that stores inside the unit to measure the curved spurs and the beard with.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:32 PM
Typical Buck

It will measure them in MM or inches. Just stick the spur at the end of the shell where my thumb is and push up with the spur as far as it will go. Once it touches the leg you have your measurment. There is a tape measure on the inside, just pop the top of the shell there there it is. Once done with the tape measure just fold it back in the close the top.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

OK cool didn't look at the website because I don't have a lot of interest in the length of either spurs or beard. I spend more time with the round to uneven tail ...
Old 07-08-2013, 05:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

The inside tape measure is tha way to properly measure a spur. Just using that shell gizmo is not going to give you the true length because of the way you're supposed to measure them on the curve.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
The inside tape measure is tha way to properly measure a spur. Just using that shell gizmo is not going to give you the true length because of the way you're supposed to measure them on the curve.
Now that would have been a very good reply the first time you replied so it didn't look like you were tossing sarcasm out at me because I didn't look at the web site with the *****Look at their website
Old 07-08-2013, 05:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

The first post was just a simple statement to watch the video and in no way was it intended as sarcasm unless you think I have it in for you because of the patterning thread, LOL! PS: FYI I don't!!!
Old 09-03-2013, 08:28 AM
HIN
Spike

Spors should be measured along the bottom curve, by the mark where the spur protrudes from the leg all the way to his tip. The measuring intstrument should be a flexible tape.

The beards should be measured from the beard's center, the place where it is attached to the skin, all the way to the longest portion of the beard's tip. Same measuring unit and instrument .(MM)