Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Stupid Jake Vs. Smart Tom Wild Turkey Hunt >

Stupid Jake Vs. Smart Tom Wild Turkey Hunt

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Stupid Jake Vs. Smart Tom Wild Turkey Hunt

Old 05-22-2013, 10:35 AM
Fork Horn

Default Stupid Jake Vs. Smart Tom Wild Turkey Hunt

This morning I was hoping to lure the big Tom to the call.
The Jake came instead without hesitation so I let him pass.
I could hear the Tom at the background but He didn't want to come.
So I set up on another spot 200 yards from him and I got him to go to the clearing. But all I got was a video and no bang.
He never got close enough to give me a sure shot. I may have to concentrate on him as I know he is decoy shy for now and might even be shy on the call also.
There was at least 3 of them about the same size before but all I see is this one now. If so maybe he may have learned from what might have happened to his partners.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1y-BGqzNO4

I hope you're enjoying the hunts on video so far.
louie

Last edited by huntrfishr; 05-22-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Put a popup blind right out in the area where he went through in that video and see if he will come through close enough for a shot. Sometimes those smart ones like that will not come close to an edge with cover they can't see in to, but will not give a second thought to a blind out in the open that doesn't appear to be a threat.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

I hope if you use a blind it works better for you than mine does.. Every time I have set it up the darn birds move away on me.. I am still puzzled by that one.. Then where I set it up the last time I went and checked onit yesterday and something decided to attack it?? It only received minimal damage but, what the heck?? I am not sure what it was but I am thinking a bear did it.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:47 PM
Fork Horn

I've seen a couple more Toms so maybe I'll tag one tomorrow if everything goes my way. There's still lots of time for me being retired. Just got to get up early enough.
Good luck to those still hunting.

louie
Old 05-24-2013, 10:29 AM
Fork Horn

I went again this morning going after the same bird and didn't hear too much but the Tom would Gobble every now and then.
I wait for a while then give him a little bit of a cluck or purr. He doesn't answer but I know he knows I'm there.
I'm set up right in his living room inside the bush to give him a little bit of a security blanket.
This started about 7:30AM and by around 9:00AM everything is quiet and I know he must be inching towards me by this time.
I see a movement on my left going away about 20 yards. It's the Tom and I have my gun ready and he ia just changing position and lucky for him he is in brush not giving me a clear shot. The farther he went the heavier the cover seems. I can barely make him out at around 40 yards. He stayed there for a while and never spooked but meantime I am getting uncomfortable as it is a cold morning today. He must have went and checked the clearing behind me as I was facing the inside of the bush. Well there's another time and at least I know he is still responsive in his own way.
Now for the exciting part. I am just sitting there and as I looked up here's a Raccoon looking right at me at about 2 ft.
I'll let the video tell the rest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GPkr8d1hqc

The saga continues.
CHEERS to all,
louie
Old 05-24-2013, 11:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

You should have tunked the little rascal with your gun barrel when he went up that log so close, LOL!