Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Must be in the stars

Old 05-21-2013, 11:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Must be in the stars

I've been after this same gobbler since the second week of the season. He has been giving me fits. He would gobble his head off but never come to a call and always go the other way. But I finally got him figured out and his daily routine. Last night before he went to roost I set up along his travel corridor. Well I could hear him gobbling about every 15 mins and he was coming closer and closer. Out about 75 yds I caught some movement and looked thru the binos and it was him. Just walking along slowly, picking at the ground and letting out his gobbles. Well it turned out I wasn't the only hunter in the woods that evening. I caught the flash of a coyote who was also lying in wait (or stalking him). He was making a mad dash for old Mr. Tom. But being the wary bird he is, he made his escape. So both our hunts got ruined last night. All I can is Mr. Coyote is lucky he didn't come back my way or he would have been eating a charge of Winchester Supreme #5s.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:39 AM
Fork Horn

Try getting in there in the am and making no calls or at least very few if any clucks and light purrrs. Also I'm surprised anyone is taking advantage of the eveing hunting in Pa I grew up huning in Pa and even when I travel to other states anything after about 3-4 oclock in the afternoon doesn't feel right. I think I'm just so conditioned to hunting them in the morning. I almost did it this year in Kentucky I knew of a hill side that 5-6 birds roosted on every night just couldnt bring myself to hunt spring turkeys in the eve. "nothing agaist it" just feels odd personally
Old 05-21-2013, 05:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

I know what you mean BG. I too get that same feeling...sort of like I got caught with my hand in the cookie jar...hahaha. But it is legal and I like being out there. But I am at the point right now that if I ever get this guy in shotgun range, I may just let him walk.. Because when that happens I won the game. And he was a good competitor and deserves to play again.