Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Great Hunt took one

Old 05-21-2013, 06:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Great Hunt took one

Alarm went off this morning and almost didn't get my butt out of bed.

Decided to hunt some state land about 15 minutes from the house, when I slowed down and put the turn single on to go down the road I changed my mind and went to different state land another 15 miles further. Got there as dawn was breaking and there was no gobbling going on, so I walked into a spot that I had hunted a couple times around 10:30 in the morning that is all tore up and put my deke out. Sat and listened nothing , give a tree yelp nothing.

Wait about 15 minutes and make a couple light calls three different birds sound off. Birds gobble a couple times and shut up so I decide to put a dip in and see what happens nothing for about 20 minutes so I decide to make another call and one of the birds gobbles from my right and he is coming from behind me, so I switch to another tree and sit down and about a minute later a bird fly's down and lands about 50 yards below me. It's about 7:10 ?? Make a couple soft calls, nada then I see a bird coming in strutting from my left, he goes to the other bird and I make a couple soft clucks and a purr, and heads my way. Smoked him at about 20 yards. Not a big bird 6 inch beard but a great hunt he will make a nice Memorial Day surf and turf with some of the walleye I have left.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:14 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats I may make one last trek this weekend to take a buddy hunting in PA.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Way to go! Always feels good when you apparently make the "right" choice concerning where to go!
Old 05-21-2013, 11:17 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats sounds like a great morning.