Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Help a Rookie Get His First Gobbler >

Help a Rookie Get His First Gobbler

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Help a Rookie Get His First Gobbler

Old 05-02-2013, 12:00 PM
Spike

Default Help a Rookie Get His First Gobbler

What is the right time to scout turkey to see where they roost the night before your hunting morning?

I'm planning to hunt public land and want to see if I can locate where they roost, so I have a good idea where to set up the following morning.

I'm thinking about hunting at the edge of a field and woods. I will place a hen decoy in the field about 30 yards away from my location which will be about 10 yards in the woods up against a tree.

Here is my rookie game plan in hopes of a getting a gobbler:

- Scout the night before to find the roost
- Go back to roost location early enough the next morning
- Use darkness to cover movement
- Place a single hen decoy in field
- Set myself up against a tree about 10 yards into the woods
- Make a few calls (clucks, yelps, clucks/purrs)

Or should I enter the woods and make a locator call to get a shock gobble?

Am I on the right track?
Old 05-02-2013, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd stay at least 100 yds from the roost if you do locate it... other than that, sounds like a solid plan. Don't set up your decoy directly in front of you (i.e. a straight line from your position), have it off to the side a bit, just in case someone decides to shoot it. Also, if the turkey is keyed in on the decoy, you won't be directly behind it, in the turkey's direct line of sight.

Other than that... wait until flydown to call, call sparingly and don't move.

If you can't locate the roost the night before, then you'll probably have to walk and use a locator call for shocks.

Not much else I can do from here.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Psylocide's advice is right on the money.

As for looking for a roosting area, I do that middleof the day, looking for droppings under the trees. I have hunted turkey for decades and one of least successes that I have had is "roosting" a goobler the evening before. Either I am not good at it or the fact that where I hunt there are probably 1000 acres or more of great roosting area making locatikon a difficult task. If you do located birds roosting the evening before or happen to hear them in the predawn, like Psylocide says do not move in too close. You'l leither bust 'em out or alert them to your presence and a fly-down they will pitch away from you.

Also if you come across a Tom gobbling in the roost early a.m., be mindful that how close/far he sounds is related at least to some degree to the direction he is facing when he gobbles. I have found that a roosted gobbler is closer than I usually think that he is.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:20 AM
Typical Buck

If I don't know where the roosts are I find them the night before, doing that gives you time to decide what roost your going to set up near, sometimes if they have hens, but mostly if their are multiple toms, Jakes or a loner, also you will know the best place to set up and how to come in the area. Sometimes by knowing the area or having a map, aerial photo you can guesstimate the strut area also.
I put my decoys 20 yards from me off to one side if I use them, with the Jake in a breading position over the hen and the Jake facing me. With the Jake facing me the gobbler would have to turn his back to me to face the jake in case I need the time to move into position. 20 yards is good because sometimes the toms will stop out of range and with decoys at 20 yards when they stop they will most likely be in range.
Don't call to early or to much once you make a call the gobbler will pinpoint you. Biggest thing is don't be seen moving.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like some spot-on advice. I am also new to turkey hunting. Deer hunted for years, but new to the gobblers. Thanks for posting everyone!!!
Old 05-03-2013, 11:45 AM
Fork Horn

Default roosting

roosting is over blown, sure it works once in awhile but don't count on it. you might be better if you locate the roost to be there when they come back too it. if you spook them, likely, they won't come back. you are better off finding where they travel, feed and strut and be there, bring a book and sit still

cheers