Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

All help needed ASAP

Old 04-24-2013, 07:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default All help needed ASAP

I'm a veteran hunter but never been interested in turkey hunting until recently I do not know the first thing about it tell me how you guys go about hunting them on morning and evening sits and also what types of calls to use when and or decoys thanks
Old 04-25-2013, 08:06 AM
Fork Horn

Really it just takes time and a lot of mistakes. But to get you started. Buy a simple box call because they take little to no practive to use really. Get out to you spot right as it is just getting light and just listen. If you hear two of three different toms sounding off head it that direction. The important thing to remember is if you can see them they have already seen you. So don't get too close and be stealthy like a ninja. Their eye are about the equivalant of us looking though a decent pair of binoculars. They see color so don't wear camo with a bright yellow under armour sign on it, and make sure you have something covering you nose and eyebrows, they tend to shine more than the rest of the face.

Once you get to where you think you are close enough but not too close sit down and be quiet for 15 mins or so. That way if they did catch movement or sound they will forget about it. The will gobble like crazy while they are in the tree and then shut up right before they fly down. that is where Decoys help. For just starting out I would just put one lone hen out. Only call enough to get their attention and when you know they are coming your way get your gun up, shut up and don't even flinch. It sounds pretty easy right? That all being said it would be nice if you have a friend that knows a little about it to take you out for the first time. They really are stupid birds but their eyes are something that will amazing even the most season beard hunter.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Read and read and read and read.

There must be hundreds of thousands of articles on turkey hunting, and most of them say the same things.

Check out Google, do a little research. Should answer the easy questions.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

What erryone else said.... they can be tough to hunt, that's no question. This only my 2nd season so Im learning as well. I know the landowner where I hunt was seeing birds pretty regular for awhile. Now we have temps below freezing again at night. Not liking that. Looking for the lows to be around 45-50 would help here.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Some very good info here.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/spec...ing-birds.html
Old 04-25-2013, 10:51 AM
Spike

Im hunting in Missouri and havent had much luck on hearing birds. im thinking about buying a gobble call to try and get a shock gobble out of them any advice?
Old 04-25-2013, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by King Z Raw
Im hunting in Missouri and havent had much luck on hearing birds. im thinking about buying a gobble call to try and get a shock gobble out of them any advice?
Save your money.

Try an air horn or a duck call or whatever you have that's loud... should work if they're going to shock gobble at anything.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/spec...-my-style.html