Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Setting up the ambush, 1st kill >

Setting up the ambush, 1st kill

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Setting up the ambush, 1st kill

Old 04-10-2013, 08:58 AM
Spike

Default Setting up the ambush, 1st kill

(how do I eliminate one of these posts)

Never hunted turkeys before and need some help!

Did some scouting ahead of the season for this Saturday and spotted a nice group of turkeys with a big Tom 3 consecutive mornings. They roost just inside the woods about 150 yards. They came out at dawn into a U shaped large winter wheat field about half way up the U and followed the edge all the way to the other side then dive in the woods after about an hour and a half.

The Tom was strutting the entire time and calling to 2 other Toms in an adjacent field at the top of the U. I set up a ground blind of cut shrubs at the edge of the field about 300 yards where they 1st appeared into the field. Here are my questions:

How early do I arrive

What decoys do I set out. I have 3 hens and a Tom
When do I start calling
What calls should I deploy and how often
Any other advise?

Thanks everyone for response. When I harvest the bird I will tell the story and show a picture.

Last edited by Sweetroels; 04-10-2013 at 09:02 AM.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I set up a ground blind of cut shrubs at the edge of the field about 300 yards where they 1st appeared into the field. Here are my questions:

First of all you should be setup right where they come into the field.

How early do I arrive. At least an hour before sunrise
What decoys do I set out. I have 3 hens and a Tom. I'd start with none. They may spook.
When do I start calling. Don't
What calls should I deploy and how often. Don't
Any other advise?

If you have the bird this well patterned, just show up. Anything out of the ordinary may affect their pattern. If you are unsuccessful after the initial fly down, then resort to decoying and calling.

Thanks everyone for response. When I harvest the bird I will tell the story and show a picture. [/quote]
Old 04-11-2013, 06:28 AM
Spike

I think roger has it spot on. If you know where they are, just ambush them. if you didn't know their patterns, that is when a call and a decoy may come into play. no need to make it too complicated.