Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Strutting but not gobbling? >

Strutting but not gobbling?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Strutting but not gobbling?

Old 04-12-2013, 06:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Think it all depends on the bird, have seen them strut with hens and not make a sound and then another bird will do the exact opposite with hens right in front of them.

Actually this happened Tuesday when I was out scouting.

Why call to birds that that you aren't hunting? I don't understand why you would do it?
Old 04-12-2013, 12:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Why call to birds that that you aren't hunting? I don't understand why you would do it?
While I can not speak for anyone else. Myself it was just a little pre- season practice. This area I most likely will avoid as it will be like the interstate come opening day.

I did travel through there yesterday and saw 2 jakes, and 5 different toms. All together I saw 21 hens and toms traveling through there. The flocks are really starting to break up now! I am hoping for a little green clover and grass to be around on opening day. Then the turkeys will really be showing up. But with snow, ice, and rain forecasted for the next 2 and a half days who knows?
Old 04-13-2013, 08:54 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Charlie P
I was trying to get the damn things to gobble. I've seen 15 of the damn things but haven't heard a gobble this year.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by thelukai1100
I was trying to get the damn things to gobble. I've seen 15 of the damn things but haven't heard a gobble this year.
I have no idea what the issue is your having. Up in this area they have started and gobbling is getting to be more and more consistent now.. I am over in District 19.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:20 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Phil from Maine
I have no idea what the issue is your having. Up in this area they have started and gobbling is getting to be more and more consistent now.. I am over in District 19.
I'm down in district 20, and finally the birds started gobbling!
But that damn tom behind my house still won't gobble and is still all henned up .
Old 04-23-2013, 11:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by thelukai1100
I'm down in district 20, and finally the birds started gobbling!
But that damn tom behind my house still won't gobble and is still all henned up .
***No need to get him to gobble if you already know where he is! Also, once the season opens and people get one to gobble when they're hunting, IMHO overcalling is the biggest mistake most make. If you have patience and know a bird is cutting the distance, the less calling the better.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 04-23-2013 at 11:09 AM.