Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

More Fun

Old 04-04-2013, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default More Fun

Went down to the camp Monday morning. More success and a first.

One of my hunting buds killed a typical 3 year old Easten gobbler .... 9" beard, 3/4 " spurs, 20# 3 oz. Shot is on a large food plot near a creek bottom early Monday afternoon.

His 80 year old neighbor who has not been physically up to hunting turkeys for 5 seasons now took a fine gobbler. It had an 11 3/4" beard, 1 1/4" spurs , 22# on the nose! He was fired up. He killed it late Monday afternoon off a small food plot.

Me ? A first! Killed a bearded hen. She had a 7" beard, weighed just over 14# and obvioulsy no spurs. Caught her easing through the woods about 07:00 a.m. Monday. Hate that I killed a hen but I had no clue that she was a hen until I walked up and saw the small head, no waddles and felt how light weight she was. Oh well.

We heard zero gobbling in the mornings. The big Tom that the older gentlemen killed was gobbling his brains off at about 5:00 p.m. He said that it came ever so slowly from about 200-300 yards away to his calling. He shot at about 06:00 p.m. The other gobbler slipped quietly into a food plot and headed straight for a decoy about 30 minutes after the guy sat down. He said that he had cut a few times and yelped a few times and that was it. The Tom did no gobbling at all.

Headed back tomorrow.

Last edited by Mojotex; 04-04-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats to all of you guys. Wow! To be 80 and still turkey hunting is fantastic.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:24 AM
Fork Horn

Sounds like fun to me hope I'm out there when I'm 80.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:52 AM
Fork Horn

The success in Alabama seems spotty so far this year. Glad you've had some! I am hoping to go again soon.