Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Pot Call Preferences

Old 04-03-2013, 10:19 PM
Typical Buck

Default Pot Call Preferences

What is your favorite striking surface?

Do you prefer a sound board and if so, of what material....glass, wood, slate???

Do you prefer the striking surface recessed a bit deeper than the edge of the call, level with the edge or slightly higher than the edge of the call?

What size striking surface do you prefer, 3.5" or??????

What is your favorite striker material?
Old 04-04-2013, 08:50 AM
Fork Horn

I like slate with a wood striker. I keep it about that simple, and it works!
Old 04-04-2013, 09:10 AM
Fork Horn

I have 3 that i use alot. But if i had to pick just one it would be flextones run n gun glass. Great sounding and even the mini striker it comes with sounds good on it. Id like someday to try a copper call as ive heard they sound good.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:40 AM
Typical Buck

I started making calls this year and have found perhaps my favorite call of all time. It is a copper surface over glass in an African blackwood pot. I use a cherry striker.

Slate had always been one of my favorites. Glass and crystal have never been high on my list. I also have an aluminum call that I love the sound of. Purpleheart strikers are very good all around sound makers.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Are you going to make some calls?

Generally, I like 2 surfaces, glass and slate. I like the slate mainly for close in "small talk". I prefer the calls with the surface is flush with the edge of the pot. 3.5" gives me more area to use. Some calls sound different whether I use the center or the edge.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:32 PM
Typical Buck

The reason behind my questions is I make calls and I make variations to suit different people. I'd like to concentrate on the most popular features.

Personally, I prefer slate over glass, slightly proud of the edge of the pot so when I condition the slate I don't gouge up the pot. I'm carefull with my equipment so I don't worry about chipping the edges of the striking surface, but for looks I like it level or slightly below. Another advantage to having the surface slightly higher than the edge of the pot is you can lay the pot face down on sandpaper and condition the entire surface keeping it level.

Most calls are 3.5", but I make a few 3" and really like them since they are easier to hold.

For the slate over glass calls I like walnut or purple heart strikers so I can produce two different sounds on one call.

That said, if the weather is wet nothing beats a glass, crystal, ceramic, copper or aluminum surface with an acrylic or carbon striker.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default cane creek

love my cane creek calls, I've got 1 slate and 1 aluminum, acrylic strikers work the best for me. they don't slip like wood ones do.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I tend to use a slate over glass as my go to call. 3 1/2 in striking surface that is slightly recessed is my preference. My favorite striker is made of cherry but will use whatever sounds good to me. We make all our own pot calls so we carry anodized aluminum as well as ceramic with us to the woods.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Slate is my favorite. Simple and effective. Hardwood striker ... I like the tip a bit sharper than most and I harden it by scorching. A 3 1/2" diameter is plenty big enough. My personal favorite is the Woodhaven ... slate over cherry pot.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:36 PM
Typical Buck

Glass is my fav.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.