Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Which pattern do you think is best? >

Which pattern do you think is best?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Which pattern do you think is best?

Old 04-01-2013, 10:14 AM
Fork Horn

Default Which pattern do you think is best?

Well....I re-patterned everything I have this weekend at 36 yards. I was aiming for 35, but once I ranged it at 36yds I decided it was close enough.

What do you guys think? Hevi13 Magnum blend is a clear winner, but the Hevi #6 wasn't bad either. And boy did I forget how bad those 3.5" shells kick!

Old 04-01-2013, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like Mag Blend in my set up. Looks like your gun likes it as well.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:11 PM
Fork Horn

Magblend looks good. The 3 1/2 " or man shells.

What gun and choke combo are you shooting?
Old 04-01-2013, 01:40 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bornagain64
Magblend looks good. The 3 1/2 " or man shells.

What gun and choke combo are you shooting?
Benelli Nova w jellyhead choke
Old 04-01-2013, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Mag Blend is clearly the winner but did you draw your circle before or after you shot? When you are trying a new shell and choke combo you are at first just purely trying to see how good a pattern it is throwing, not how well your aim is or even whether the gun is perfectly sighted in. That comes later. To me it looks like the center density of that Mag Blend shot hit higher than your circle. Draw your circle where I have it in the photo and do a recount. I think you will be well pleased. Then you can adjust your point of impact down a bit. Looks like well over 200 pellets inside the 10 inch circle I drew to me.

Last edited by Todd1700; 04-01-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:57 PM
Fork Horn

I agree the magblend looks good.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Any of these has plenty of shot and a good enough pattern for a clean kill a gobbler at 35 yards.

Simply because I prefer #5 or #6 shot, rather than #7 for turkey, I like your results with the Remington Nitro 3" or Heavy Shot 3". Both are very consisent, with no bunching. Besides the 3 1/2" just hurts me!!!
Old 04-01-2013, 07:18 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Todd1700
The Mag Blend is clearly the winner but did you draw your circle before or after you shot? When you are trying a new shell and choke combo you are at first just purely trying to see how good a pattern it is throwing, not how well your aim is or even whether the gun is perfectly sighted in. That comes later. To me it looks like the center density of that Mag Blend shot hit higher than your circle. Draw your circle where I have it in the photo and do a recount. I think you will be well pleased. Then you can adjust your point of impact down a bit. Looks like well over 200 pellets inside the 10 inch circle I drew to me.

Good point. What I did was draw the "roughly" 10" circle freehand on the posterboard. Then I put the turkey target on top of the circle with the base of the turkey's neck centered in the 10" circle. My point of aim was the base of the turkey's neck. This was all done in a crouching position on the ground against a tree to simulate what it would be like "live." I also do not have a red dot sight or anything like that. Just a bead on the end of the shotgun.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:06 AM
Spike

I had similar results. MagBlend the clear winner. I drew the 3" circle before the shot. Then put the 12" circle around the biggest concentration after the shot.
Attached Thumbnails Which pattern do you think is best?-img_2571.jpg   Which pattern do you think is best?-img_2572.jpg