Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Success stories---anyone >

Success stories---anyone

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Success stories---anyone

Old 03-31-2013, 12:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default Success stories---anyone

How about some success stories from you
"Real" Turkey hunters down South for us
Folks patiently waiting our turn to the
North. Note extra brownie points
Awarded for in depth details---Smile!
Thanks!!
Old 03-31-2013, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

I agree and also show your pics as well.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:27 PM
Fork Horn

Yes let us live vicariously thru you!
Old 04-01-2013, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Two so far. None spectacular. Both are typical of a 3 year old SE Alabama Easterns .... 8" - 9" beard, about 3/4 inch spurs ... about 18 pounds or so. Missed another. All my doing ... got anxious and as my 'ol' turkey hunting buddy, who passed away last summer would have said to me ... "Too faarrr! Toooo faaaarrrr!

We are having a great year. Every one that has hunted has had at least a good chance with all but one guy bagging a bird. Gobblers have been rather quiet until last week. They were some kind of fired up this past Friday and Saturday. I had 5 gobbling like crazy near me. Chased one. Spotted two nice ones strutting to hens. Could not call them away. Which is the usual case for me ! So eased out and tried to cut them off. Late ... 60 yards and headed off the property. Oh well.

Looking especially forward to this weekend end too. Taking my old buddy to the woods. No one that I know enjoys turkey hunting more than he does. He's 92 and still gettin' it. He is more or less wheel chair bound now and doesn't get up at the crack of dawn anymore .... heck, at least he can get up ! And by God if he can get out of bed, he's headed to the woods if at all possible to do so.

For the past 3 springs we go field hunting mid morning and later in the afternoon. I set him up, help him with his shooting stick tripod and then drop a Double Bull around him. Works fine ... last spring the man enticed a fine gobbler into the edge of the food plot. Rolled the bird into the woods. Ended up being a 11 1/2" beard and 1" spurs gobbler. He was some kind of pumped. I got the feeling that he figured that 2012 was his last season. Frankly, so did I. I just am so excited about taking him again.

Update: My buddy was able to make it out two days. First day his sons took him to a blind that is at the end of a hardwood finger, on the edge of a 100 yard , 50 yard wide food plot that was loaded with fresh clover and lots of fresh sign. Set a decoy out for him at about 35 yardsl. About 3:30 he had a gobbler working the south side of the plot but never could coax him into gun range. Next day he went to an area near hardwoods along a big creek where turkeys generally meander around in the afternoon and later roost. No luck. But he had fun.

And I was wrong about one thing .... he is 93 not 92 !!

Last edited by Mojotex; 05-03-2013 at 08:44 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:26 PM
Fork Horn

Mojotex,

Congratulations on your birds, thanks for sharing
And tell that young 92 year old gentleman that
This Mainer wishes him good luck!
Old 04-02-2013, 04:31 AM
Spike

I don't know how to post pics, but I got my first Gobbler yesterday morning. Day 3 of the Tennessee Spring Turkey Season. Here's my story yall

This was my first hunt with my father since I was a young girl. I had always dreamed of being able to harvest an animal while hunting with my dad. I woke up at around 545am and got my dad out of bed. He's staying at my house for now lol. We both had a nice cup of coffee, got dressed and fired up the four wheeler and headed up our trail to the woods. Around a mile into the trail we reached the highest point and shut her down. As soon as we dismounted, the hills rang with Gobblers sounding off. Dad and I exchanged excited looks and briskly ran downhill and cut into the woods around 75 yds from where I knew they roosted. Dad would use his 30yr old box call, a tried and true tool, to emit a series of yelps and cackles. The Gobblers would immediately retort, there were at least 4 individual Gobblers across the ridge. We had no success calling them in and they eventually meandered along further up the trail they were on, and further away from us. After about 20 minutes we left our position and head across the ridge. We could hear them in the distance and I knew exactly where they were. We would walk a few yards and then dad would call. Eventually we ended up close enough for my comfort as the birds were just across a ridge. Dad said to me, "Let's see just how interested they are." He used that old box, which is older than myself, to utter a very excited series of calls. The Gobblers sounded off and seemed to be, in fact, VERY interested. I sat down in front of a large tree close to the bottom of the bank I was standing on. Dad layed along a set of fallen trees with only his head visible. It got quiet for a moment and doubt was in my mind. That all disappeared when I saw him. He had topped the ridge and was quickly making his way towards us, he then cut to the left and headed up, above us. While he was behind a laurel bush I repositioned myself. He gobbled and dad make a few quiet clucks and I raised my gun and turned off the saftey. The bird stepped out of the bush and paused, perfectly still. I knew this was my chance. I aimed just below the birds beak and squeezed the trigger. The sound of my shotgun rang through the woods and the bird dropped and began flopping around. His head was like a sock with a tennis ball inside, limp and useless. Dad told me to go get him so I turned on my safety and ran across the ridge. I caught and and soon the movement stopped. I was so shocked, this had all happened so quickly, I forgot to even check out his beard and spurs! After a very emotional celebration between father and daughter, I toted the bid Gobbler down a long trail and my dad went and got the atv. After returning home I went to check him in, 9.7" beard and 7/8" spurs, 19#. Not bad for my first and it was a hunt that I will never forget as long as I live.

Posted from Huntingnet.com App for Android
Old 04-02-2013, 04:54 AM
Spike

Let's see if this works, if not I'm sorry lol

Old 04-02-2013, 11:44 AM
Fork Horn

Girls hunt to from Tenn.,

Great story, I'm liking the details. Wonderful
job on your first Tom. I'm sure it made it extra
special to have Dad call him in. You get at
least two brownie points from this Mainer.
Thanks for sharing!
Old 04-02-2013, 03:05 PM
Fork Horn

Great story and congrats on an awesome hunt!
Old 04-04-2013, 07:27 PM
Spike

I haven't heard a gobble all season
all thow I called two cobblers up the second day of season and took one
its been a cold season for Alabama

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.