Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Why turkey?

Old 03-28-2013, 09:54 AM
Typical Buck

I don't really think of turkey hunting as trophy hunting. I just love the whole experience. Big Rockpile summed it up pretty well. All that plus it's in the spring (you can hunt them fall or spring, I just hunt spring), the woods are waking up, beautiful time to be out there. Also, since its spring, it's the only option for hunting in a lot of areas going at the time (including mine). Before I started hunting turkeys, I didn't get out in the woods much in the spring (a little mushroom picking from time to time).
Old 03-28-2013, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Murdy
I don't really think of turkey hunting as trophy hunting. I just love the whole experience. Big Rockpile summed it up pretty well. All that plus it's in the spring (you can hunt them fall or spring, I just hunt spring), the woods are waking up, beautiful time to be out there. Also, since its spring, it's the only option for hunting in a lot of areas going at the time (including mine). Before I started hunting turkeys, I didn't get out in the woods much in the spring (a little mushroom picking from time to time).
Great point about spring.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

A lot of the mystique that grew up around turkey hunting hails from the days when turkeys were very rare. Less than 100yrs ago, there were an estimated 30,000 wild turkey in the whole US.

I believe a European bird that has a similar hunting lore around it is the Capercallie or Auerhan (spelling?). The main difference is that huntable populations of Capercallie are few ana far between.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't shoot birds that don't have an 8 inch or better beard...But to me the intrigue in turkey hunting is in the gobble...There is just something about being up early and hearing multiple gobbles while they are on the roost...Unlike deer hunting, you now know where they are, the trick will be getting one to come within range of your shotgun...

The challenge in hunting them comes in not just knowing that they have excellent vision or in knowing that they go the other way whenever they get suspicious but in knowing that you are going against their nature...It's not natural for a tom to go to a hen, she is suppose to come to his gobble...While much is made over fancy calling, sometimes less is more...
Old 03-29-2013, 08:45 AM
Fork Horn

Being able to outwit any gobbler is a feat, but some bring more intelligence than others. I worked a group of gobblers for three days before I was able to pattern them and outwit the bunch. I called in two big gobblers within shotgun range to a friend of mine and he shot a 22lb 10 3/4" bearded bird. This was his first gobbler! I felt as proud as he did.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

The old timers have a sayin.A deer thinks every hunter is a stump and a turkey thinks every stump is a hunter.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

No matter how experienced you are, there are Toms that will drive you bonkers. There are no givens at all when turkey hunting. Just when you thing you've got him where you want him, Murphy kicks in. Maybe its a hen calling from the other direction, maybe he saw you move slightly, maybe he just wants you (the hen) to come to him so he hangs up just out of range... Then there are times when everything goes just right. A few tree clucks, he pitches down from the roost and struts a bit, then makes his way straight to your decoys and BAM! It seems the Murphy hunts are a bit more common unfortunately.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Big Rockpile,that was the best explanation I've ever heard.Good job.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

the overall experience of being out in the woods, and the challenge of calling a bird into short range, that can probably see a person flinch from over 50yds away. From what I have read, it's the any movement that they can detect so well. And like most game, I think they surely can sense danger, when there's a person with a gun. I know it sounds crazy, but at times I've encountered wild animals while just hiking, or scouting, and walked right up on deer, etc. And they just stood there staring at me, until I snorted at them & they bolted. No way that would happen to me during hunting season, carrying a weapon.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:16 PM
Spike

big beard and nice spurs is what i look for. i usually shoot the first longbeard that comes in though

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.