Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

New hunter in Illinois

Old 03-22-2013, 09:34 PM
Spike

Default New hunter in Illinois

I've never been hunting before and am really anxious to learn. My sons and I have done the safety course and are looking for the next step. We are new to the area, so we don't know anyone that can take us out to teach us.
Anybody out there from Illinois that can give me direction? Where do I go to meet hunters that would be willing to pass on their knowledge?
Old 03-23-2013, 07:45 AM
Typical Buck

Good luck on your first hunt and welcome to the club your going to love it!
Old 03-25-2013, 06:33 AM
Typical Buck

Are you lookin for info for turkey hunting only (since this is in the turkey forum) or hunting generally?
Old 03-25-2013, 07:12 AM
Spike

I am looking for info on turkey, mainly. But, I am wanting to learn to hunt as many things as I can. We are interested in hunting as a means for food, not so interested in trophy hunting.
Turkey and deer are my biggest interest, although, duck and geese would be nice, too.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:41 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

You are not too far south of me. Illinois has a lottery for turkey tags and they sell out fast. They are done for this year. There are a few less desireable leftovers. Generally you only get one decent turkey tag per person per year here. There are a few good ones left in far southern tip post-lottery. If you aim to firearm deer hunt, that lottery just opened I believe, on the ILDNR website. For archery most the public properties are walk on anytime for residents.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:09 AM
Spike

I am signing up for the firearm deer right now. Any suggestions on good public areas?
I understand its very difficult to get permission to hunt private land if you don't know anyone
Old 03-25-2013, 10:07 AM
Typical Buck

Maybe join the NWTF (National Wild Turkey Federation). There's a chapter in Yorkville. I don't know anything about it other than it exists.
Here's the list of left over permits:
http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/...y01DEC2011.pdf
Go to the dnr website and download a paper application, it will show the abbreviations the dnr uses for different public sites. If you have access to private land anywhere, it might be a different story, but otherwise, pickings are pretty slim at this point. If you are hunting with kids, you may be able to get youth tags as well, which would improve your options (deer or turkey).
Old 03-29-2013, 08:11 AM
Spike

There is a army arsenal in Will co. that is open to hunting. I've never hunted it but it might be a good spot for you. You can get the info from the il dnr website.

Posted from Huntingnet.com App for Android