Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
federal prairie storm for gobblers? >

federal prairie storm for gobblers?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

federal prairie storm for gobblers?

Old 03-17-2013, 04:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default federal prairie storm for gobblers?

Anybody shoot this load for gobblers? Looking into it and have found a few videos on it as well as some write ups. Just trying to find some loads with the flitecontrol wad and it seems everyone is out of them. So this is a last resort. Shooting an 870 with cylinder barrell. No i dont have the funds to buy a new gun or barrel so thats outta the question. But the load im shooting now is good to 20 yards out of my gun and 95% of all my turkeys have come within that range so....any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
Old 03-18-2013, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like your pretty much limited to what you can do... So if you gotta use that gun I'd say you gotta keep them inside 30 yards maybe 25 yards...

A descent turkey gun ain't really that expensive say your money dude!!!
Old 03-18-2013, 11:02 AM
Fork Horn

Your idea of decent price and mine are probably two different things lol. But i have been keeping my eyes and ears peeled just in case. This is more of a last resort at this point. And im running out of options at this point.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:53 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Anything will work less than 20 yards and 20 yards is where I would want to stay with a Cylinder Choke! Even closer.......

Is that a real old 870? - If it accepts choke tubes I can give you a Modified - maybe even a FC if I can find them.

But only you know the pattern.

JW
Old 03-18-2013, 12:08 PM
Fork Horn

No it doesnt take chokes unfortunately
Old 03-18-2013, 02:40 PM
Fork Horn

I say try them, I used 1 1/4 oz of #6 shot for years and killed them just as dead as any other turkey load. and I also used a modified choke.
killed a turkey at 30 yards with them. but that was back before anyone patterned they're shotguns. we just bought a box of shells and hunted. even if you had a full choke or a cylinder choke everyone killed turkeys.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:33 PM
Fork Horn

I bought a Mossberg 835 about 5 years ago for around $200. Good value for the money. Shot lots of turkeys with it and some out to 40 yards with Winchester Extended shot
Old 03-19-2013, 01:24 PM
Fork Horn

Ordered a box up of number 5's. Have to report back on how they pattern. I like to call them in close so i should be all set. Just have to pattern it so i have the mental confidence to go out and get one!