Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Whats going on?

Old 03-17-2013, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Whats going on?

I had four jakes that came to my decoys,they walked up to about 10feet from the decoys and just looked at them.I mean no gobbling,displaying,nothing.Could it be that the hens have not started nesting yet? We have had a lot of rain in the past few weeks.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lol nothin wrong with that... How long you been turkey hunting?
Old 03-18-2013, 08:10 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Not all Jakes gobble or display. Jakes will be in packs at this time of year as they have been shunned and chased off by the mature Toms.

Jakes may attack decoys en mass and can be very aggressive as a pack or complete panzies!

Bad thing abouy Jakes ~ they come to calls quicker than Toms do and when they see something they don't like ~ they leave just as fast too. And if they have been a satelitte group, holding on the fringes of a nice Tom and his harmen of hens ~ Well when the Jakes leave - they help pull that Tom away from you. See it many times......

JW
Old 03-18-2013, 09:54 AM
Typical Buck

I agree with Mr. Longbeard, Normal behavior, they will do what they want and feel safe doing. Good luck!
Old 03-18-2013, 10:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

What you have are inexperienced decoys...

Package them up and send them to me and I'll fix
them for you....
Old 03-18-2013, 11:50 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
What you have are inexperienced decoys...

Package them up and send them to me and I'll fix
them for you....

I like that nchawkeye! Virgin Decoys!
Old 03-18-2013, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

The guys are spot on. The jakes in my area seem to know what the pecking order is. Had a jake with about a 5 inch beard come into my decoy this morning but you could tell he knew he was doing something he should not of been doing. About an hour later, another smaller jake came by but really kept his distance.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is my third year turkey hunting.The first turkey I shot,I had four jakes come in doing the full on display,gobbles and everything.One thing I did notice about these guys were there beards were small even for a jake so maybe they were just young.The other thing is the gobblers are only gobbling for about two hours in the morning then nothing.
Thanks for the info I'm going back in a couple of days and hope I have better results.Another question?I have a jake decoy,should I put him out with the hens?
Old 03-18-2013, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Some guys have good luck with the jake decoys and others do not. I prefer not to use a jake decoy. I have heard of less dominant gobblers being nervous about coming into a set up with a jake decoy in it. The area that I hunt has had a number of the dominant gobblers killed and this will cause an adjustment in the pecking order. I would not want a jake decoy to cause the next dominant bird in the area to shy away. Just something that I feel works for me but I'm sure others will give tactics that works for them. Have fun and be patient.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Kind of what I was thinking,thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.