Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Help with turkey loads!

Old 03-07-2013, 02:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've had good results with Win. 3" , 2oz. #4's. In my gun they pattern almost as well as #6's. One of my 50+ yard birds was taken with that load. It's usually the second shell in the magazine. A tradeoff with larger diameter shot, with increased energy per pellet you have to accept fewer holes in the target.
Or you could go the heavishot route.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:04 AM
Typical Buck

Sounds like a fine pattern to me.

Couple questions. How long is your barrel? A longer barrel will improve the pattern.
How many shots did you take with the Nitros? I ask cause I've heard guys talking about taking only one or two shots and being done.
Were you using a Lead Sled or sand bags on a bench? When sighting in or patterning my gun I like to make sure that I am as steady as possible. You need to take all variables out of the equation. Did I flinch? Was I steady?

One more thing....As much as I love the Nitros and how they pattern at long ranges....try being patient and make shorter shots.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:50 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by bald9eagle
Sounds like a fine pattern to me.

Couple questions. How long is your barrel? A longer barrel will improve the pattern.
How many shots did you take with the Nitros? I ask cause I've heard guys talking about taking only one or two shots and being done.
Were you using a Lead Sled or sand bags on a bench? When sighting in or patterning my gun I like to make sure that I am as steady as possible. You need to take all variables out of the equation. Did I flinch? Was I steady?

One more thing....As much as I love the Nitros and how they pattern at long ranges....try being patient and make shorter shots.

Answers:
1. 26" barrel
2. 7 shots with Nitros
3. Used a bench with sandbags and was rock steady. Pattern was same every shot. And used a huge backdrop to establish my pattern.

I have shot lots of birds, but 30-40 yards isn't what I'm worried about. It's the birds that hang up at 50ish yards that concern me. I think my pattern is exceptional at closer ranges. But I am in the hunting industry and am blessed to hunt a lot. And hunting 30-40 days of turkey, the occasional 50 yard bird isn't uncommon. Just trying to be able to make it count when this shot arises. So, far, my birds don't fall at 50 yards, but at 30 they cut backflips. Just trying to get a bit more distance. And to me losing 90 pellets in a pattern at 10 yards more isn't acceptable. Maybe I'm overly anal about it, but I know guys dropping birds at ridiculous ranges that I'm scared to say how far. I should be able to kill them at 50, but for some reason I'm not. My 3 1/2" SX2 with a Rhino choke or Kick's Gobblin' Thunder is no better than my 3" gun at these distances. And I'm shooting the rowdiest rounds on the market, I figured for better patterns.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:40 PM
Spike

I shot a bird at 50+ last year with HeviShot Magnum Blend and he went from happy to taking a dirt nap as soon as I pulled the trigger. HeviShot #6 is certainly capable of killing birds at 60 or more yards, however, I don't think it is ethical as the chances of wounding the bird are high. The pattern you are describing is o.k. Try a box of Hevi-13 #6 and see how they work for you, you'll probably do a little better than your present load.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:13 AM
Spike

Thanks! I have been also thinking of trying the magnum blend.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by tankdogg60
Answers:
1. 26" barrel
2. 7 shots with Nitros
3. Used a bench with sandbags and was rock steady. Pattern was same every shot. And used a huge backdrop to establish my pattern.

I have shot lots of birds, but 30-40 yards isn't what I'm worried about. It's the birds that hang up at 50ish yards that concern me. I think my pattern is exceptional at closer ranges. But I am in the hunting industry and am blessed to hunt a lot. And hunting 30-40 days of turkey, the occasional 50 yard bird isn't uncommon. Just trying to be able to make it count when this shot arises. So, far, my birds don't fall at 50 yards, but at 30 they cut backflips. Just trying to get a bit more distance. And to me losing 90 pellets in a pattern at 10 yards more isn't acceptable. Maybe I'm overly anal about it, but I know guys dropping birds at ridiculous ranges that I'm scared to say how far. I should be able to kill them at 50, but for some reason I'm not. My 3 1/2" SX2 with a Rhino choke or Kick's Gobblin' Thunder is no better than my 3" gun at these distances. And I'm shooting the rowdiest rounds on the market, I figured for better patterns.
And herein lies the problem...You are popping off at turkeys at 50 yards, with a shotgun...That is why you wounded one last year...Being in the hunting industry you need to set a good, ethical example...If you have that much time to hunt you should have no problem getting your limit in birds by getting them within 40 yards...This seems to be your setups limit...

Work on your calling, setup, purring, those things will bring the birds in closer...
Old 03-18-2013, 04:46 PM
Spike

As you know, the common theme is going to be to keep your shots under 50yds at max...but I have one suggestion that I think might help you knock the birds down that you are worried about. Use #4's.

I hunted with #5's and 6's for many years thinking "the more BB's the better". I had flip flopping birds on occasion and even a couple times had to make follow up shots. One time I shot a full strut tom straight in the face at about 45 yards with regular lead #6's and he did a full roll, got up and started to fly, I luckily shot him out of the air and he had more holes in him than a screen door, but many of the pellets when i plucked him were only skin deep. I decided that since I was using a 3 1/2" shell I had more than enough BB's anyway to just move to the #4's. I can tell you it was a stark difference. The birds just hit the deck now. I've shot some at 10 yards and several at 30-60yds and they just look like they've been hit by a heavyweight fighter instead of slapped by several angry women like they used to. I haven't patterned my shells like you, but I can tell you the results are unmistakable to me. Good luck!
Old 03-18-2013, 05:44 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
And herein lies the problem...You are popping off at turkeys at 50 yards, with a shotgun...That is why you wounded one last year...Being in the hunting industry you need to set a good, ethical example...If you have that much time to hunt you should have no problem getting your limit in birds by getting them within 40 yards...This seems to be your setups limit...

Work on your calling, setup, purring, those things will bring the birds in closer...

I'm not going to go on and on with you, but you don't know anything about me. Other than the fact that I shot at one turkey at 50 yards and didn't kill it. That is the only turkey I've ever shot at that distance. I usually shoot birds within 15 yards. You have no idea of my setups, calling abilities, etc. just because I shot at 1 bird and didn't kill it, means zero. If you can sit here and tell me that you've never shot at one that far or ever had one get away, then either you're a liar or haven't had too many encounters with a turkey. I'm not a puppy, I've been around the block. I came for advice, not criticism. But I have shot many several thousand dollar setups with every choke and port and polished yadda yadda crap a shotgun can have and there's no magic weapon. Birds that get hit at ridiculous distances with one shot are 99.9% of the time killed with 1 to very few pellets.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd say #4's, #5's or #6's with a full choke.

Dead bird !
Old 03-18-2013, 06:20 PM
Spike

I feel your pain tankdogg. I don't think you WANT to shoot birds at 50+ yards, but you'd like your rig setup so its capable. I know from my standpoint I could shoot birds all season long at 25 yards, but if my gun didn't pattern as good as other hunters setups at distance I'd still be bothered to some extent by the "what if".

For perspective....My mx quad never sees 5th gear on a motocross track, but if it wasn't jetted properly and when i rode it around a field it popped and farted in 5th gear only..i still wouldn't be happy with its setup.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.