Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Mouth call help

Old 02-17-2013, 11:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default Mouth call help

I need help with mouth calls, I know how to use them.
But i was wondering What should i look for when looking at mouth calls?
I want a versitle call that i can yelp, cluck , purr and cut with.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:31 AM
Fork Horn

Default mouth calls

the biggest difference between any of them is the b.s. from the people who manufacture them. i don't believe that the turkey give a damn one way or the other as all turkey sound the same but all sound different. if really worried, buy one single reed and one double reed and when one doesn't seem to work, try the other and or mix them up. don't get caught up in gizzmos unless you feel sorry for those selling them. spend your time and money locating turkey, problem solved

cheers
Old 02-20-2013, 02:07 AM
Spike

Good woodsmanship and patience will kill more birds than any call will. Get you a H.S. Strut Raspy Ol Hen 2 reed call and try and master it.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:08 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by longbowlee
Good woodsmanship and patience will kill more birds than any call will. Get you a H.S. Strut Raspy Ol Hen 2 reed call and try and master it.
that is the exact same call i use. i recommend it.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:24 AM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

Go get you a Primos Long Hooks, easiest mouth call I have ever used. Sounds great and I've called in all 4 sub species with them.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:22 PM
Fork Horn

Default diaphram

don't worry about it, they all work and then only about 30% of the time. no two turkey sound the same and probably no turkey will react the same way two days in a row. smarten up, get the book by tom kelly and learn something

cheers
Old 02-20-2013, 03:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Take a look at some of the calls made by Hooks Calls. Scott is the owner and he is a great guy to deal with. The Executioner is my favorite.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:03 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by DTC
Go get you a Primos Long Hooks, easiest mouth call I have ever used. Sounds great and I've called in all 4 sub species with them.
^ 2nd that! Love the primos calls, I also use the HS Strut raspy ol' hen as well.

I like to say I am a decent caller with my mouth calls, but I am not as versatile with them as I am with my slate. I cant purr with my mouth calls and its becoming very frustrating. I keep practicing and trying but no luck just yet. Any suggrestions?
Old 02-21-2013, 09:44 AM
Spike

Same issue with me, I can do everything else with the mouth call just not purr...and it's starting to become frustrating.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Purring for me has also been a challenge. I move the call back a bit further in my mouth and roll my tongue. Most guys I know gargle there throats or make a sound like a dog growling but i could not get the sound I wanted. Keep at it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.