Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Best Turkey Loads

Old 01-23-2013, 12:22 PM
Spike

Thanks guys. I'll probably only be able to get out and pattern my gun once before the season, so like I said, I don't want to get a whole bunch of different kinds. This should narrow it down a lot.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

got 4 turkey guns and all 4 will shoot Win HV #5's great out to 40 yards...

with factory super full turkey chokes
Old 01-24-2013, 05:33 AM
Typical Buck

I love the Nitros. They are 8 bucks apiece but shoot like a dream. I also like the Federal Heavyweights (I forget the real name but they are the high dollar Federals).

If you go to the Nitros Shotshells website you will find a page that gives the owners preferred shell/choke/gun combination. If I remember correctly the owner has tried every combination and can tell you which shells shoot best.

You may be able to talk to a local gun shop into buying some. One of the places near me sells them individually. They also have different size loads/shot so you can try a few different ones. I buy them as I need them and use the cheaper shells as a backer for the Nitros. I will load up 1 Nitro and put two cheaper shells behind it so I don't waste the high dollar suckers on follow up shots.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:52 AM
Fork Horn

I shoot federal turkey loads #5 3.5" in my 835 and they pattern great and I have taken turkey with this load out to 50yds and they don't stand a chance. I tried other loads in the 835 and they didn't pattern near as dense.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like Hevi-13s. 3.5" 2.25 Oz. #6 works well for me.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:46 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bald9eagle
I love the Nitros. They are 8 bucks apiece but shoot like a dream. I also like the Federal Heavyweights (I forget the real name but they are the high dollar Federals).

If you go to the Nitros Shotshells website you will find a page that gives the owners preferred shell/choke/gun combination. If I remember correctly the owner has tried every combination and can tell you which shells shoot best.

You may be able to talk to a local gun shop into buying some. One of the places near me sells them individually. They also have different size loads/shot so you can try a few different ones. I buy them as I need them and use the cheaper shells as a backer for the Nitros. I will load up 1 Nitro and put two cheaper shells behind it so I don't waste the high dollar suckers on follow up shots.

Lol..if you need follow up shots with Nitros, you need to check your POI, change chokes, or estimate thier distance more accurately.

Gman
Old 01-29-2013, 08:46 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Gamblinman
Lol..if you need follow up shots with Nitros, you need to check your POI, change chokes, or estimate thier distance more accurately.

Gman

Ain't that the truth. I missed one with Nitros that was completely on me. Bird was in strut standing behind a log. When I target my bird I like to set his head on top of my bead. I did this but wasn't thinking about him being in strut or behind the log. I filled the log full of Hevi-shot. He was about 40 yards but had gone so far to my left that I wouldn't be able to turn any further and still shoot.

The only other one I missed I killed a nice 3 year old........sapling that is.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Win HV #5's
Old 01-31-2013, 07:40 PM
Spike

I say you can't go wrong with Hevi-13. I shoot #6 and have found it patterns better at longer distances than any others I have tried. Little expensive, but I don't shoot many each year so no big deal.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:44 PM
Spike

I tried the Hevi Magnum Blend this last fall with killer results. Before hunting I patterned it and was really surprised at how tight the patterns were. Killed a Tom past 50 yards with it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.