Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Best decoy?

Old 01-01-2013, 10:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default Best decoy?

Hey guys I was starting to think about decoys. I don't have any so what kind should I get and what sex and age and position etc.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can spend a lot of money on the realistic decoys, but you can get a cheap feather flex and have just as much success. Turkeys aren't real intelligent when determining the quality of a decoy. Some people will swear a mounted decoy or a high quality decoy works better, but in truth, it really doesn't matter. Decoys will not work everytime, even the mounted ones. I rarely use decoys,but when I do, I just put two feather flex hens out. I have a jake also and a B-Mobile strutter, but I hardly ever use them. Sometimes decoys work great, but don't expect them to every time. Some of the decoys out today do look very realistic, but you are going to pay more for them.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:44 AM
JW
Super Moderator

And with decoys you need to be concerned about safety on where and how you place them. Deocys do call in other hunters. Be aware of that at all times.

JW
Old 01-01-2013, 12:27 PM
Spike

I havent used alot of different brands of turkey decoys but the Avian X is my favorite. I use the quarter strut jake and the breeder hen.

http://www.zinkcalls.com/products/turkey/index.php
Old 01-01-2013, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

We started using the DSD brand decoy about two years ago. I would not say a decoy that expensive has helped me kill more gobblers but I love watching the real hens react to it. The hens that like it stay around longer and those that do not like it will attack it. Fun to watch on a slow day.
As JW said, placing them in a location that will keep you out of the line of fire from another hunter is priority one.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:13 PM
Fork Horn

I also run the DSD. I have the jake, feeding hen, and upright. Last year I had some nice Toms come in and did manage to shoot a 28 pounder. Two years ago I had a big Tom shy aware. I really don't think it matters on the price, cheap decoys work just as well.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here you go;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CARRY-LITE-D...item1e5e5644e8

http://reviews.cabelas.com/8815/2279...onTime&dir=asc

Then customize them with "real" tail ~ I cut "slits" in the side and put "real" wings in my also !

Works like a charm !!!

Last edited by Sheridan; 01-01-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:18 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

I had success using cheap decoys for years. Then had three years in a row of toms avoiding them. So last year decided to try more realistic dekes. DSD are great but lil too steep for me so I got 2nd best Zink Avians last spring. Got better results with them, harvesting 2 mature toms off Wisconsin public. My birds came in #1 and #9 in the Huntingnet contest last year. Both late season leftover tags in early/mid May.

One interesting encounter was with a lone hen who became buddies, chest bumping and hanging around my Avian hen decoy for 3 full hours. Even got video of it making a dust bowl directly next to it maybe 2 feet. Haha the company might like that for advertising.

Anyway I can't say the dekes made much difference. I think it depends much more on hunting pressure. But I hunt exclusively public land, and I've found dekes mandatory because no way the toms are coming in to any call. Huge difference there. Years of encounters taught me that.

Last edited by Zim; 01-01-2013 at 08:23 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:29 AM
Fork Horn

Yeah I thought about some cheap ones from sportsmanship warehouse and maybe getting my next one mounted for that purpose exactly. I also looked at that LCD decoy but I can't decide if that price is worth it honestly I think that the turkeys don't care that much what your decoy looks like if they are going to come in then they are going to if not then they won't but everyone swears on them so I thought I might give them a try. My grampa usually decoys them for us but his are an old flimsy foam deal and don't look that realistic honestly but he has gotten many great birds with those decoys