Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Preserving turkey feet?

Old 05-04-2012, 06:10 AM
Spike

Default Preserving turkey feet?

What is the best way to preserve turkey feet? I have always injected them with a product i got from Wasco called . Epo-Thin Set Injectable. Only to find out years down the road it has no preservative that i know in it. However none of the feet i have injected have gone bad, smelled, rotted, etc.

I see on Wasco's website they have another product called KNoblachs bird feet injection. Its description is "A safe preservative for injecting into the feet and wings of birds, feet of small game, and velvet antlers to reduce shrinkage. No offensive odors. Inject periodically while the mount is drying for best results."
I was wondering if anybody else had used this product or what everybody else does to preserve the feet since i know there is meat in there.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

I put my best bird's fan, beard, and the feet from the main joint down to just below the spurs on a plaque in 2006 and never did a thing to preserve them. They look just the same now and there has been no odor at all. Here's a picture of it.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 06-09-2015 at 07:28 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:45 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
I put my best bird's fan, beard, and the feet from the main joint down to just below the spurs on a plaque in 2006 and never did a thing to preserve them. They look just the same now and there has been no odor at all. Here's a picture of it.
Yeah thats how i do mine. I cut away the fat and meat from the fan and apply borax to it, as well as the beard. But i just dont like the idea of putting a foot up with meat being inside and not curing it or preserving it.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

I do the trimming and Borax bit with the fan and beard like you mentioned, but I don't remember putting any Borax on the ends of the legs where I cut them.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just let the feet dry in the shed. There's minimal meat to rot on the legs and once it does dry out they were perfectly preserved.