Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

New York on tuesday

Old 04-29-2012, 06:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default New York on tuesday

Good luck to everyone. Hope you have been seeing and hearing more then I have. Been out almost every weekend morning for the last five weeks and the gobbling has been going down each week. Haven't done any calling just walking and sitting. Different spots I have to hunt each week. This weekend was bad. Only heard a few gobbles each morning, and it was over by 6:15.

Don't know if the unusually warm weather got them breeding early or what. I haven't found any nests but a couple people I know have found them with up to eight eggs laid already.

Couple that with the really wet and cold springs we have had the last few years I believe the bird population is way down. Honestly I'd say 50-60%.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:31 AM
Spike

regrettably i do not have any positive light to shed. I went scouting 3 times and have heard 2 gobbles. Nothing off the roost at all and I have been all over the place, did bump one hen off her nest with 10 eggs and another alone hen walking to what looked like a nesting area.. Nothing yesterday at all and today while on the way home a gobbler stood in a neighboring field so i went out and called at him a little no response as he looked up once and just kept walking into the woods.... Not looking to good. bummer
Old 05-01-2012, 09:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Slow day today. Two gobbles from two different birds about 6:30.

Starting really raining about 6:45 until almost 8:45.

Saw four birds cut through the top of the field around 7 and then I had four hens in the field until I sneaked out of there around 9:30. No more gobbling there.

Went to another spot found an broken egg on the way in and had 9 does come across the field and they kept looking back. About 5 minutes later I make a call and up pops a head, a coyote 150 yards across the field. He was looking right at me as a watched him through the binocs. He worked his way back into the woods. Was wondering what would have happened if I had a decoy out.Then the neighbor starts targeting shooting must have shot about 70 times. Made a quick move to another spot and heard nothing.

Saw a total of 8 birds but only heard two gobbles all day. Hunted right to noon.

My son will be home from college this weekend. We are planning on hunting four days, hope things pick back up.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:32 PM
Fork Horn

Good luck. I hope things will change for you.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Keep your head up Charlie P, I started to get discouraged after 2 1/2 days of hard hunting and not one gobble. Had one hunt ruined by a fellow hunter and one Tom the first day of our season gobble his head off for 30 minutes but would not come to me with his 2 hens present.
4 days later at 6:30 in the evening after having a coyotte keep some birds 400 yards away at bay I packed up and moved as you have a mile away. Walked to a tree I Deer hunt out of and on the first set of calls had one gobbling and coming. I was loading him up 15 minutes later. So take the advice of a fellow hunter and press on! Be encourged and delight in the soon hunt you will share with your Son in the Turkey woods. May the Lord bless you with a double harvest and some great memories this weekend. Stonewall Jackson always told his battle weary troops to Press On, may you do the same and get the victory in the end.

Last edited by doetrain; 05-01-2012 at 04:31 PM.