Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Michigan bird down

Old 04-27-2012, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Michigan bird down

Hey guys, gave this bird the death penalty this morning at 7:30 AM. And man am i still excited.

Setup in a pop up blind this morning with a heater because temps were below freezing, and I wasnt gonna freeze. Watched the birds fly down in the same field they always do, so i tried calling and calling....nothin. I watched them walk to a neighboring field. So i decided I can either sit here and try calling and probably come out empty handed again, or I can go TO the bird.

So i packed my stuff up, walked over to a field that was butting up to the field that they were in, and noticed 3 strutting toms with hens. I started calling and about 15 minutes later 4 hens started coming my way. So i hurried up and set up and got ready.

About 2 minutes later, those 4 hens walked in at 30 yards. Then i saw another one, thinking it was a tom....Nope. Another hen. Then another bird.........Hen. Im thinking, thats 6 hens, those toms have GOT to be following soon.

So i waited and after about 5 minutes with very light calling, one walked in, saw the beard, took the safety off and sent a Nitro his way, dropping him at 37 yards.

Im happy as heck. Last night the Lions got a solid draft pick, and today I got a solid bird. Good luck to the rest of you guys. Unfortunately for myself, Michigan allows only 1 bird per season, so im done.

19# 10.5" beard (personal record beard) roughly 3/4" spurs

Old 04-27-2012, 01:26 PM
Typical Buck

i wish i could hunt easterns, they have longer beards. these damn merriam up here like to rub their beards and therefore they dont get as long. congrats on the big bird.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice bird. Sounds like a fun hunt. Congrats.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:29 PM
Fork Horn

Congratulations on your exciting hunt.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:49 PM
neb
Typical Buck

Great job man
Old 05-04-2012, 02:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great Job! Thanks for all your comments on my Threads and post,I see what you mean about the 835's one heck of a Turkey Gun. Congratulations on your Bird once again. The one good thing about the one Bird limit like my state does is that it gives the population a greater chance to stay healthy as long as the poults make it to maturity. My Buddy shot a bird yesterday they think may be 5 years old,so this to me is a good sign.

Last edited by doetrain; 05-04-2012 at 03:02 AM.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Super job at getting your turkey!! Sometimes they are just hard to get to come in no matter what you try. But you was able to pull it off and now you are just like the rest of us that has tagged out so far..

I keep thinking darn I wish I could go out and wait for 1 more turkey. That is after seeing them still strutting around the fields here in town. I do not even bother the ones in town none at all. I prefer to head out in the back roads to where the natural gas and power lines run. Then all the older folks can see the turkeys running and strutting around the town..
Old 05-08-2012, 06:17 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt wild turkeys until the end of the season at least the whole month of May, pretty well every day except Sunday. Mind you it is mostly video and calling for others. I count scouting as hunting also.
I try to keep my tag right to the end most years but I hope to tag out ASAP this time as we are allowed to call for others and video as long as we don't carry a firearm.
Besides it's getting harder and harder to wake up early nowadays.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Welcome to the forums!!
Old 05-09-2012, 06:57 PM
Spike

Good job,congratulations on your hunt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.