Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
talk the talk but wont walk the walk >

talk the talk but wont walk the walk

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

talk the talk but wont walk the walk

Old 04-27-2012, 06:51 AM
Spike

Default talk the talk but wont walk the walk

I have been turkey hunting and the gobblers will respond to my calls but they wont come to me...what do i do?
Old 04-27-2012, 06:57 AM
j76
Typical Buck

Calls are a great tool but if your not where the birds want to be they usually won't help. Do they have hens with them? If so its eaven tougher to get em to come your way. Watch where they go and when they go there. Then put yourself in the right place at the right time. Good Luck!
Old 04-27-2012, 07:08 AM
Typical Buck

the turkey breeding season is the complete opposite of rutting deer, the hens go to the gobblers and once the gobblers have hens they rarely leave them until they nest. Most hens feed in the morning then go off to their nest in midmorning to afternoon. try hunting later in the day when the toms are out roaming and lonely and desperate for that last hen that hasnt been breed yet. And also, put the scouting hours in to see where the toms go when they roam. Like j76 said, it is easier to call a tom to where he wants to go then where he doesnt.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:52 PM
Fork Horn

Mature birds will sometimes hang out on their strutting area being spoiled as all the hens just come to them. One thing that works is to go to that area earlier than the Tom and call from there. Do not use a hen decoy as he will hang out expecting the hen to go to him. A jake decoy should work as he doesn't want any competition on his strutting area.

As mentioned already another tactic is to find where a lone Tom is going towards a bush and get there before he does and call from there. Be ready with different kinds of call as usually he expects a certain hen to be there, and if lucky you could just get the right pitch, just like the particular hen sounds.That's why sometimes certain call works and not the other.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:01 PM
Typical Buck

Opening morning I watched 4 jakes and a tom with 5 hens just out of range for two hours they were killing me. That afternoon we moved to the that same spot they were in and we shot a double header. Scout and put yourself in the spots all is good most of the time all the callin in the world wont work!
Treebeard
Old 04-29-2012, 07:04 AM
neb
Typical Buck

If you can move to the gobbling tom's. Set up where you see them the most if you can do that. It may take a few more trips to the field but hang in there and get as close to where you see them or hear them. Is there a creek or something in there path to where you are at??? Make it easy for the birds to come to you. One thing I found out that works for me is too set up above them and so they will come up and over to see what is happening. When they pop over they are right in front of you. Sometime when they can see the decoys from a ways off they just strutt and gobble because they can see the hen decoy and waiting for them to come to him!!! Just have to play the game and sometimes you win. Try to out smart them. This tatic has worked well for me.

Last edited by neb; 04-29-2012 at 07:25 AM.