Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Big problem please help

Old 04-20-2012, 04:29 PM
Spike

Default Big problem please help

All last week ive seen a couple of strutters in this lower corn field but this past week ive gone up the at night and only seen 2 hens in the field and havent seen them since and tonite i got 2 to gobble in a different field.. so do i hunt the corn field or the other field. opening day is tomarrow ..Please help
Old 04-20-2012, 04:34 PM
neb
Typical Buck

I would hunt the field that the two hens are in tonight. Where there are hens the tom's will be close. If they don't come in you can always move later. If you hear them they are not that far away. Let us know how you do?? I'm just saying that is what I would do.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:36 PM
Typical Buck

I have had the same problem with turkeys dissappearing. I think its just turkeys being turkeys. I would get there and listen. Good luck
Old 04-20-2012, 08:42 PM
Spike

I would go in and wait for sun up make a call or 2 and wait for the response then sety up accordingly, ive done this several times in the past and had it work out very well.
Good luck
GE
Old 04-21-2012, 03:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Go where you see the birds consistantly, as has been said Toms are looking for hens if you see them go to them. If you spot Toms by themselves run and gun them if they will not coma to your calls terrain permiting. We got 2 nice Toms last year,no gobble but we stalked them once spoted in an area and had success. Try setting up first then think through your stradegy to stalk them if you must to get around and behind them. Good Luck.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:55 AM
Fork Horn

I would hunt the field where I have seen them most currently.
The hens are probably moving from one area to another to stake out their nesting spot.
Follow the hens and the toms will be there one way or another.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

What I have found when hunting the pipeline up here, Is that the toms will be strutting with the hens around in one area of it for a couple of days. Then they disappear to another area for another couple of days. The next thing you know they are right back with the first group of hens another day or 2 later..
So they just appear to be moving around getting as many hens as they can.. At least it does look that way to me..
Old 04-23-2012, 09:09 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Phil from Maine
So they just appear to be moving around getting as many hens as they can.. At least it does look that way to me..
Won't you do the same Phil? LOL
Old 04-23-2012, 09:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by huntrfishr
Won't you do the same Phil? LOL
LOl not anymore as it would cost way to much being married and all... LOL
Old 04-23-2012, 01:19 PM
Fork Horn

Same thing here I'm on a diet so I just look at the menu but I never order....LOL