Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Strategy

Old 04-16-2012, 05:08 AM
Spike

Default Strategy

My partner and I are preparing for our first turkey hunt. We are both experienced hunters but not for turkey. We are trying to figure out a good strategy to team up on the gobblers. We will be hunting on an abandoned farm of about 100 acres. We know of only one flock in the area. Our strategy so far will be after hearing the early morning gobbling we will get to the vicinity and set up our decoys. One of us will set up close to the decoys, the other will station himself in a location between the decoys and where we last heard the turkeys.
Do any of you more experienced turkey hunters have better suggestions for tag-teaming turkeys?
Thanks!
Old 04-16-2012, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Be sure not to try to get too close to the roost while you're moving in on them while they are gobbling from the tree. If they see you, chances are you won't shoot one. Also, be sure you know exactly where each other are if you will not be in sight of each other. For your first hunt, it may be better to be pretty close together. That way if you need to move to a different spot, you can do that quick and easy.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

When hunting with another person the ideal set up is to have one doing the calling and the other the shooting.I prefer to be behind the shooter a little to the left or right depending on where our decoys are set up and what cover dictates. If your both shooting and alternating the calling then one left and one right with the decoys in the middle,a good cross fire set up. The first set up is what we used to get our bird this weekend with one shooter,the next hunt I do will be the second set up with me calling only for my young hunter having first shot oppertunity but I'll be armed as well. A team effort is a great help, one focused on the shot the other a lookout and focused on the calling. If you get to far apart you may put one or the other in danger or bump the birds and confuse them with your calls pulling them two different directions. I hope this helps it's how I see a lot of people do hunts and what has worked for me and those I have called for.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:20 PM
EFH
Typical Buck

You've got some pretty good advise so far. I would agree that to start out you should stay pretty close to each other for safety reasons and communication. I like putting the shooter about 15 to 20 yards in front of me to catch a gobbler if he hangs up. That's if I'm sure I'm not shooting. With that being said I've seen a lot of birds drop with me and a buddy against the same tree, and it is much easier to strategize and be able to let the other hunter know when one of you see a bird. Good luck!
Old 04-16-2012, 05:42 PM
Typical Buck

Good luck with your hunting
Old 04-16-2012, 05:51 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I'd spend more time scouting if you can. Find where the birds want to be on a natural setting and be there before them......Then find a way to blend in with your natural surroundings.

Places to look for early morning is East facing fields as the sum comes up and warms them 1st. Be there and wait. I like to keep the sun at my back and me in the shadows.

Second stay together. Lack of communication can cost you a bird easily. One can get away with a whisper if sitting next to each other.....

Just some thoughts for you to consider.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:23 AM
Spike

All great advice! Thanks alot!
Old 04-17-2012, 09:09 PM
Fork Horn

I am in the exact same boat as you dude. I've been hunting everything except turkey for 12 years. I've been reading all kinds of tips online and especially on this forum for the past few months and it helps. Also, PRACTICE with your calls. I picked up a slate, box and mouth calls and have been practicing them trying to imitate youtube videos of real gobblers and hens. Good Luck and Safe Hunting!
Old 04-18-2012, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mw_Guerilla
I am in the exact same boat as you dude. I've been hunting everything except turkey for 12 years. I've been reading all kinds of tips online and especially on this forum for the past few months and it helps. Also, PRACTICE with your calls. I picked up a slate, box and mouth calls and have been practicing them trying to imitate youtube videos of real gobblers and hens. Good Luck and Safe Hunting!
Missouri has some great Turkey hunting,some of the nicest birds I have seen have come from there.Almost everything I know about Turkey hunting I've learned here and from watching others do it on You Tube and hunting video's.Our team Captain got one there this week,can't wait to see him in some pics.Good Hunting To Ya!