Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Kentucky Opener,Success! >

Kentucky Opener,Success!

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Kentucky Opener,Success!

Old 04-14-2012, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up Kentucky Opener,Success!

It was worth the wait to get out this morning with my Buddy Matt in Kentucky for thier season opener. Hit the ground at 6:00 am after a quick coffee and equipment check. Got to our spot set up 6 decoys and settled in for some locator calls with my Crow call. 3 Gobbles followed 2 sets of calls at about 6:30,a fourth chimed in after some soft tree yelps and clucks.
Had two coyotes run through and sniff one of our decoys,I thought no way those Toms will come to us now. They did come though about 6:45,2 on the left,one front and one to the right. The one on the right circled in behind us,I caught him out of the corner of my eye and told Matt to not move. He was 80 yards out moving to the decoys to the right and in front of Matt.
What a show we got until 7:26 when I said now! He's getting further out,so Matt droped him at 45 yards. One of the other Toms just out of sight got out of Dodge asap! It was the kind of hunt you hope for,lots of Gobbling,Strutting and plenty of time to take it all in. My Buddy Matt's legs fell asleep,you should have seen him try to get up to get to his bird. He looked about as funny as that Tom trying to recover from a broadside of number 5 shot.LOL!
Well here he is,enjoy. 21 lbs. 11 in. beard and 3/4 spurs,sorry for the blurry picture will try a better one latter. Calls used 1.Handmade Box Call 2.HS LiL Duece Slate Call 3.HS Two Timer Mouth Call. Weapon 870 Remington,Winchester Supreme Number 5 Shot 3in., Choke, HS Undertaker. Here's an interesting tid bit,we got this bird on the trail cam 8 minutes befor Matt droped him. Matt thought he passed it before coming toward him and was right.
Attached Thumbnails Kentucky Opener,Success!-downsized_0414120757.jpg   Kentucky Opener,Success!-dsc_0385_891-800x536-.jpg  

Last edited by doetrain; 04-15-2012 at 06:11 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:56 AM
Spike

Awsome hunt doetrain congrats on great story and a super hunt play by play
enjoy it now go get another . lol
GE
Old 04-14-2012, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

What a great morning !
Old 04-14-2012, 09:38 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats sounds like a great hunt
Old 04-14-2012, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great story! Man that bird looks big in your picture. Congrats and enjoy the rest of your season.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats! Nice Tom you got there!!
Old 04-14-2012, 12:34 PM
Fork Horn

Nice tom. Congrats. I scored this morning too down here in TX with my first Rio. I don't have such a great story as yours is though. My calling was so horrible I am amazed the turkeys came in. Again, congrats.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:10 AM
Fork Horn

Great report keep up the good work.
Kentucky is a hilly country right?
Must be great listening to the gobbles on the hills.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:52 AM
Fork Horn

congrats on a fine bird. still waiting for the 28th for my opener..........
Old 04-15-2012, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Question

Originally Posted by jmedenf
Nice tom. Congrats. I scored this morning too down here in TX with my first Rio. I don't have such a great story as yours is though. My calling was so horrible I am amazed the turkeys came in. Again, congrats.
I clicked on your link,nothing came up. I would like to see you video or pics. Has anyone told you it's not working or is it on my end?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.