Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Crow Call Works To Locate >

Crow Call Works To Locate

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Crow Call Works To Locate

Old 04-07-2012, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Smile Crow Call Works To Locate

I used a crow call to locate 3 Toms this morning,it really works well. I had never used one before this morning and I was surprised to get 3 responses to my calls. If only I could have hunted and made Turkey calls after locating them,but must wait a few more weeks. Had a good day scouting though. 3 Gobbles,5 strutters about a dozen or more hens,2 Deer and 1 coyotte. And 2 rabbits as well. It was a good morning in the woods if only to see the sun rise and the critters doing thier thing. Caw,Caww,Caw,Caww!
Old 04-07-2012, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah I love a crow call. It's simple to use and loud. Crows are vocal from dawn til dusk so there is no wrong time to use it.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:53 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Crows will at times stop in the tree overhead of a strutting Tom and Caw their fool head off. So be aware of that. While I have been given a few custom crow calls I love my Haydel plastic crow call as it will let me use it like a wounded crow. Has notches on the mouth piece. If I get bored I can easily call crows from a distance. Best I ahve ever done in the trees above me was 61.....

Other good locator calls are a silent dog whistle, duck or goose call, referee whistle, car horn, air horn, pileated woodpecker, and then I use a gobble call at times.

JW
Old 04-07-2012, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I carry two crow calls. Faulks and Quakerboy, both of them work differently and I can get a locate at most times....

Last edited by Adrian J Hare; 04-07-2012 at 05:36 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:35 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Come on Adrian - tell us the truth - that is so you can talk to yourself!

JW
Old 04-07-2012, 06:00 PM
Typical Buck

LOL JW!!! Glad you're trying out the crow call doetrain - I've had success w/ it as well. Kinda bummed went out scouting today and saw NUTHIN'... WEIRD!

Good news - my doctor is letting me hunt his property again this year... It's amazing. Unfortunately they're putting I-69 right through it, but he swears they're still all over the place... I'm praying!!!

Kim
Old 04-07-2012, 08:06 PM
Typical Buck

It can work very well at times
Old 04-08-2012, 02:22 AM
Spike

I was always wondered the effectiveness of the owl hooter and crow call. Never bothered trying a crow call because I got told by my late uncle that an owl hooter call was ideal. This thread makes me want to go out an pick one up to try.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wink

Originally Posted by Turkey Goddess
LOL JW!!! Glad you're trying out the crow call doetrain - I've had success w/ it as well. Kinda bummed went out scouting today and saw NUTHIN'... WEIRD!

Good news - my doctor is letting me hunt his property again this year... It's amazing. Unfortunately they're putting I-69 right through it, but he swears they're still all over the place... I'm praying!!!

Kim
I hope you bust the biggest baddest Tom out of all the team members TG! I love it when you ladies and the youth hunters have the greatest success. We guys can use a slice of humble pie every now and then. GOD bless your hunt in a few weeks.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know no call works every time,put I like as many tricks in my bag of Tom Foolery as I can have based on what I have read about the way these birds can make a fool out of the most seasoned hunter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.