Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Question about gobble shaker calls >

Question about gobble shaker calls

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Question about gobble shaker calls

Old 04-03-2012, 09:47 AM
Spike

Default Question about gobble shaker calls

Im considering getting a gobble shaker call. Over the years it seems like i come across a few times where i throw everything but the kitchen sink at a stubborn bird to no avail. Ive always wondered what if i had a gobble call to throw at him. Ive seen the ones Primos, Quaker Boy, and Knight and Hale have and just wanted to know which one yal liked the best and what the best time to use it is. Thanks
Old 04-03-2012, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not saying tis is the right way to go about it, but in 45+/- years of killing turkeys I have never used anything other than my box call to imitate a gobbler. And very, very seldom at that. I use it as a "shock" call rather than a call with intent to bring a gobbler in.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Save your money. More gobblers have succumbed to hen yelps than to gobble calls. If you want to mess with some jakes, gobble calls are fun. If you want to bust a longbeard, leave it in the truck.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've had pretty good luck when a gobbler is hung up to follow up a yelp series with gobble as if there's another tom or jake suddenly interested. Competition is hard for some of them to tolerate.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Wingbone
I've had pretty good luck when a gobbler is hung up to follow up a yelp series with gobble as if there's another tom or jake suddenly interested. Competition is hard for some of them to tolerate.
X2-X3-X4

Go with the QuakerBoy as It sounds the best when used with two hand opperation and when the insert goes bad you can pull it apart and replace it for $3.00 instead of buying a whole new one...
Old 04-03-2012, 05:00 PM
Fork Horn

Forget the shakers and get a Haint!
Old 04-03-2012, 05:41 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Red Wolf Gobble Call. Google it!

The Tom I shot last night - I gobbled his hens away from him.......and guess who followed?

Simple to use -

JW

Ps I do need ot add a bit of caution tho - be carefull using it - it is so realistic it will call up other hunters......but is a great locatiing tool in the morning - just shake it hard....
Old 04-07-2012, 08:01 AM
Spike

i like the primos. sometimes i will be out in the woods and there will be one about 100 yards away and when i have called for a while i hit that and most of the time it makes him mad so he comes running in
Old 04-07-2012, 10:23 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Matchbook454
Forget the shakers and get a Haint!
I used it one morning to see how it worked on locating turkeys. A tom had flown down and was walking away from me on the ridge above me. I blew it one time and he gobbled back at me I blew it again and nothing. A few minutes later he goblled, and he had cut the distance in half. He came down off the ridge threw a thicket crossed a creek went threw another thicket to the logging road I was on when I blew the call. He stayed there for 30min gobbling and looking for the turkey that gobbled. That call worked that morning for sure.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:01 PM
EFH
Typical Buck

I have the primos. I very seldomly use the call at all, but I have killed a longbeard using it. I've also scared turkeys off with it. That's why it's last resort for me. I can't get rid of it because it got me that one stubborn bird, and maybe will again sometime. I never thought about using it for locating, might give it a shot!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.