Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Got my first gobbler

Old 04-04-2012, 09:51 AM
Typical Buck

GREAT BIRD! Congrats.....Sadly however I think you've missed what the allure of turkey hunting can be for ya. To say you can "only" shoot 5 is silly and to think this bird is "just" a "baby". Man you are missin' the point. It ain't deer hunting.

You also can't tell me you know the difference between a 20 lb gobbler and a 25 pound gobbler by lookin at them. Thing is..who cares? That 5 yr old, long spurred, old warrior can be a scrawny 16 lber.

I've seen a lot of gobblers get dropped (not all by me) and I can't think of pretty well any where me or the hunter took the time to analyze the spur size. In some circumstances you might get a good look and see but now you're telling me about distinguishing 1/8's of inches on a little growth off thier leg with your naked eye. Now if you got 2 birds in your sights I sure have picked the nicer beard of the 2. (11 inch beard is exceptional by the way!)

You're listenting to the wrong people if you're focused on size. Enjoy the hunt man. If you get a mature bird (anything over 2yrs old) and he gave you a good duel then stand over him and enjoy it regardless of what his stats end up being. And when you're done share the meat with your neighbours in front of the farm. That is very kind of ya.

good hunting.....

Last edited by OntElk; 04-04-2012 at 09:54 AM.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great bird! Did you say ONLY 11" beard? I've been turkey hunting for 12 years now and still havent got one over 10" beard.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Remember, this is his first turkey. He probably doesn't know any better that the size of the bird don't matter.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by superstrutter
Remember, this is his first turkey. He probably doesn't know any better that the size of the bird don't matter.
Got that right. Dont know about the rest of you guys, but when I see a "tom", im aiming to kill it regardless of analyzing how big the beard is.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

LOL!!! I doubt he's kidding
Old 04-05-2012, 08:54 AM
Fork Horn

Very nice bird. All these guys are right. The size isn't everything. We're not trophy hunting like some people do with deer. I've taken a 25 lb bird a few years back and I took a 23 lb six spurred bird last year. To even think of expecting to match the qualities of these birds, I am going to be disappointed many times. The only thing I distinguish between when turkey hunting is whether it is a mature tom or a jake or hen. I also only shoot what I plan to eat. Feeding the hungry is a fine idea. But most people that use those programs tend to be trophy hunters, and trophy hunters only. They usually don't care much about population control (taking does). To me, I am getting something to eat and the enjoyment of the outdoors while doing it, and maybe a trophy if it presents itself. My turkey hunting is no different than my deer hunting.

Was it legal to carry both shotguns at the same time? I'm not familiar with your state's laws. Just know that most states won't allow that.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jmedenf
Very nice bird. All these guys are right. The size isn't everything. We're not trophy hunting like some people do with deer. I've taken a 25 lb bird a few years back and I took a 23 lb six spurred bird last year. To even think of expecting to match the qualities of these birds, I am going to be disappointed many times. The only thing I distinguish between when turkey hunting is whether it is a mature tom or a jake or hen. I also only shoot what I plan to eat. Feeding the hungry is a fine idea. But most people that use those programs tend to be trophy hunters, and trophy hunters only. They usually don't care much about population control (taking does). To me, I am getting something to eat and the enjoyment of the outdoors while doing it, and maybe a trophy if it presents itself. My turkey hunting is no different than my deer hunting.

Was it legal to carry both shotguns at the same time? I'm not familiar with your state's laws. Just know that most states won't allow that.
That is amazing! I've never heard of a multiple spurred bird. Do you happen to have any pictures? Not that I dont believe you by any means, but I would just love to see what that looks like.