Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

mossberg 835 ulti mag

Old 03-31-2012, 03:59 PM
Spike

Default mossberg 835 ulti mag

im savin for one and i want to know anything i can about it
Old 03-31-2012, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bought a used 835 Mossburg Thursday shot it Friday and I like it a lot. As I have been told by many on this site,it kicks like a Mule when you use the 3 1/2 shells,and it does! But here is the trade off for the pain, 30 yards with number 5 Remington Nitro Turkey shells,dead turkey. 40,50 & 60 yards,same result,dead Turkey! With Heavi Shot and a good choke even more devastating for Old Tom Turkey. I'm 5'9 and 220 and built very strong in the upper body and it requires a firm grip when you light the fuse. If you get one,buy a Limb Saver Butt Pad it helps a lot,the stock one is to hard. Good Luck Marine!
Old 03-31-2012, 06:32 PM
Spike

3 1/2 shell hunt if you are not in the right spot, good gun
Old 04-01-2012, 01:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Its a VERY good gun, and a very common gun for turkey hunters. Ive been using one for several years now with unbelievable results.

As for a recoil pad, I dont use one. Wait...maybe thats why Ive had this hole in my shoulder ever since I started shooting it.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:48 AM
Spike

Take 2 Tylenol before you shoot it ,..............and .........3 more after you are done.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

With 3 1/2" shells it doesn't matter what you're shooting.It's going to kick the snot out of you plain'n simple.I've never shot them in my 835.I might try them for coyote but never for turkey.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Question

Originally Posted by Bernie P.
With 3 1/2" shells it doesn't matter what you're shooting.It's going to kick the snot out of you plain'n simple.I've never shot them in my 835.I might try them for coyote but never for turkey.
Bernie P. since you don't use the 3 1/2 shells Bernie,what is the longest shot you have had to take with 3's or 2 3/4 shells with success? Do you just let them walk if they are beyond 50 or so or do you have success with the 3's?
Old 04-01-2012, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

My 835 patterns best with 3.5" 2.25 oz #6 hevi-13s. The gun kicked like a mule but the limbsaver recoil pad helps a lot. Mine has a 20" barrel, so it probably kicks harder than most. I still use the 3.5" shells though because they pattern best. I use a Primos Jelly Head choke, but I have a Pure Gold choke too. They both pattern about the same. Once you've got a good bird in your sights you won't feel any recoil when you pull the trigger but I guarantee Old Tom is gonna feel it! Good Luck!
Old 04-02-2012, 05:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Around 30-35 yds is about the longest shot I've ever had to take with most around 25.Never had to let one walk yet due to distance or something being in the way.Mostly it depends on how you set up.You have to take into consideration whats between you and the bird.Scouting is not only important for finding the birds but also the lay of the land.Things like fences,streams,whether your above or below the bird etc all come into play.