Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
strange returning gobble >

strange returning gobble

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

strange returning gobble

Old 03-21-2012, 02:23 AM
Spike

Default strange returning gobble

This is crazy, I went to my hunting lease yesterday, to pattern one of my shotguns. The strange thing was that it took me 15 minutes to seup my target, including walking back. I always have my eyes and ears turned on anytime when game is in season. I heard no gobbler's until I shot my gun. These two Toms gobbled on both sides of me after every shot I made. I've heard of folks slamming a car door to wake up a roosted turkey but gunshots?
Old 03-21-2012, 02:42 AM
EFH
Typical Buck

Hahaha! That's about right! I took a gobbler several years ago and the same thing happened after the shot. We tried to go work him but had no luck. We were on a afternoon hunt once and my buddy hit the panic button on his keychain when he put it in his pocket and had one gobble at the horn. Unfortunately he didn't come in either! Lol!!
Old 03-21-2012, 03:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

They'll shock gobble at about anything, thunder, gunshot, whatever.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:37 AM
EFH
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by UncleNorby
You are correct!!
Old 03-21-2012, 04:53 AM
j76
Typical Buck

We spotted a group of 4 toms on the edge of a road a few yrs back. Were able to sneak around and set up on them about 200 yrds away out of sight where we thought they wanted to go. Called off and on for an hour and nothing! Figured we spooked em on the way in or they just headed the other way. A fighter jet flew over head and all four lit up and gobbled their butts off right in the spot we had first seen them! That'll make ya feel real good about your calling!!!!
Old 03-21-2012, 08:38 AM
Spike

Every year we have a rod and gun club that we pop in a day or two during the season. On sevetral occasions, people were on the rifle range blasting away. The gobblers would fire up. The alarm at the firehouse gets em goin or sirens. Train whistle. Jake brakes on tractor trailers. Shock gobbling is always cool up in the morning.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:00 AM
Spike

If I make it out before dawn light I can normally get them stirred up on their roost by using an owl hooter.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

5 years ago, I did a last minute pattern test and got a gobbler to respond. So much for locator calls.

I hunt a few miles from an army training area. Twice I have heard toms answer to distant artillery booms.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:43 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by UncleNorby
We've hunted a whole day without a gobble and get back to the truck and shut the tailgate to have birds gobble. Call them, nothing. Shut the tailgate again, gobble. It's a shock gobble.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:57 PM
Typical Buck

Isnt it strange that they wont answer locator or turkey calls but any loud noise and they sound off

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.