Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Pattern / # of hits question.... >

Pattern / # of hits question....

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Pattern / # of hits question....

Old 03-19-2012, 04:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Todd1700
The problem with just shooting at a turkey head target or any other small target is that you can't see what your whole pattern is doing or where your shotgun is throwing the center of your pattern. Trust me not all shotguns (even really expensive ones) throw their patterns perfect to the point of aim of the bead sight. Also different chokes and shells can shift your point of impact too.

Do what you like but you can shoot the same shell through the same gun and choke at a small turkey target and get 6 radically different results never knowing what the heck is going on. Did you pull the shot? Was the center of the pattern high, low, left, right? Who knows unless you shoot at a large sheet of paper. Only then can you truly tell which shell/choke combo is throwing the best pattern and whether you need an adjustable sight to get it centered to point of aim.

And it's not like it's a major expense to shoot a sheet of poster paper or a section of craft paper. If you like you can still tape a turkey head target in the center of it. But one shot at a large sheet of paper will tell you more about what you, your gun, shell and choke are doing than ten shots at a can or small target.
perfectly said
Old 03-19-2012, 04:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rory/MO
Last time I checked a turkey's head wasn't a 10" circle? Guess they've changed since I saw one yesterday morning though.
it is not about a turkeys head being a 10 inch circle. this is about pattern.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I found some old wrapping paper and did more shooting. I also adjusted my sight. The shots were somewhat to the left and high. Looking much better about 80 pellets. This is at 30yrds at 20 it blew the paper in some pices ... Just doesn't want to pattern at 40. So I'm pretty sure it is the shells. It was also sort of breezy out the first day. I don't know if that would affect the shot that drastically at those ranges or not. Like mentioned, Ill try some different shells. If I can't get it better Ill be limiting my shots to 30yds. Thanks for all the info / input.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:25 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Buckhunter46755
I found some old wrapping paper and did more shooting. I also adjusted my sight. The shots were somewhat to the left and high. Looking much better about 80 pellets. This is at 30yrds at 20 it blew the paper in some pices ... Just doesn't want to pattern at 40. So I'm pretty sure it is the shells. It was also sort of breezy out the first day. I don't know if that would affect the shot that drastically at those ranges or not. Like mentioned, Ill try some different shells. If I can't get it better Ill be limiting my shots to 30yds. Thanks for all the info / input.
Just curious what shot size and choke you using? I think magnum 6 and 7 1/2's are good out to 60 yards with a supertight choke, JMO
Old 03-19-2012, 06:30 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Rory/MO
Last time I checked a turkey's head wasn't a 10" circle? Guess they've changed since I saw one yesterday morning though.
Sorry but this not correct. This author did not mean that a 10 inch turkey head exists but I think he means a 10 inch tight pattern is better than a turkey head size 2-4 inches. That's how I took it anyways, no disrespect just pointing eyes in the right direction on this post.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

Everyone has their own way of pattering their guns. I as well aim at the waddels and have had great success aiming there.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:37 PM
Typical Buck

I use a rem 870 express magnum with a rhino choke and Nitro 4x5x7 Hevi- shot.
I get 67 pellets in a turkey head target. Plenty!
Old 03-19-2012, 08:38 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by RockyMtnGobblers
I use a rem 870 express magnum with a rhino choke and Nitro 4x5x7 Hevi- shot.
I get 67 pellets in a turkey head target. Plenty!
Wow that is good! I'd be lucky to get 20 haha.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:16 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Todd1700
The problem with just shooting at a turkey head target or any other small target is that you can't see what your whole pattern is doing or where your shotgun is throwing the center of your pattern. Trust me not all shotguns (even really expensive ones) throw their patterns perfect to the point of aim of the bead sight. Also different chokes and shells can shift your point of impact too.

Do what you like but you can shoot the same shell through the same gun and choke at a small turkey target and get 6 radically different results never knowing what the heck is going on. Did you pull the shot? Was the center of the pattern high, low, left, right? Who knows unless you shoot at a large sheet of paper. Only then can you truly tell which shell/choke combo is throwing the best pattern and whether you need an adjustable sight to get it centered to point of aim.

And it's not like it's a major expense to shoot a sheet of poster paper or a section of craft paper. If you like you can still tape a turkey head target in the center of it. But one shot at a large sheet of paper will tell you more about what you, your gun, shell and choke are doing than ten shots at a can or small target.
This isn't meant to be a smart remark or anything... but if I take a 3d target, like a can the approx height of a turkey and shoot it... I know what my pattern looks like without shootin a piece of paper. I know if I pulled the shot, I know if I have holes... I dont care what happens outside of that can... I just know the can is dead, and so wont a turkey... I don't care if you've shot 200 turkeys over the last 50 years or whatever... count all the holes you want... If you put a beer can on a stick and rock its ass at 35 yards... Turkeys goin down. Anything outside of that is details that wont matter if ya cant shoot.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:46 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by gun870guy
This isn't meant to be a smart remark or anything... but if I take a 3d target, like a can the approx height of a turkey and shoot it... I know what my pattern looks like without shootin a piece of paper. I know if I pulled the shot, I know if I have holes... I dont care what happens outside of that can... I just know the can is dead, and so wont a turkey... I don't care if you've shot 200 turkeys over the last 50 years or whatever... count all the holes you want... If you put a beer can on a stick and rock its ass at 35 yards... Turkeys goin down. Anything outside of that is details that wont matter if ya cant shoot.
I agree with both of you but saying that have to pull towards Todd1700 more because a beer can is not a proper way of patterning any load on any shotgun. I have seen a shotgun shoot well out of a soda can radius to the left, right, up, or down. That being said I do see gun870guy's point in that if I am shooting at a turkey, deer, rabbit, or any game's head or neck I won't have a shotgun with me that does not shoot a very close POA.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.