Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Thunder chickens starting early in Virginia >

Thunder chickens starting early in Virginia

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Thunder chickens starting early in Virginia

Old 03-16-2012, 06:24 AM
Spike

Default Thunder chickens starting early in Virginia

Thunder Chickens are already gobbling here in Central Virginia. I think with the mild winter and early spring they are ready to start rocking! Got a new mouth call and Counting down till opening day
April 14th!
Old 03-16-2012, 10:01 AM
Fork Horn

Thats awesome! I have a property in Loudon that I can hunt along the Potomac River and I'm going out tomorrow morning before daylight and listen for them. Hope I hear what you've been hearing. Good luck this year!
Old 03-17-2012, 02:50 PM
Typical Buck

Hopefully this warm weather wont screw them up. Good luck when your season starts
Old 03-18-2012, 03:58 PM
Spike

I seen a huge tom today next to the dog park struttin away at some hens.. Hopefully I see him again soon.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:37 AM
Spike

Thanks guys! Went out scouting yesterday and saw some Toms but no strutting. I hope they don't start too soon! Its supposed to be 80 degrees for the next few weeks!

P.s Ticks are also bad this year. I had Deet on and some still found there way on me.

Good luck everyone this year.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:02 AM
Fork Horn

my dad and i were having a chat about them maybe starting early here in Ontario too do you think its possible?
Old 03-19-2012, 12:24 PM
Spike

I doubt it very much
GE
Old 03-19-2012, 01:03 PM
Spike

An early start in wisconsin, I believe. Seen 10 toms on neighboring properties this morning, all with hens and strutting, except 3 all by themselves (lonely, hopefully until they fall in love with my hen decoy)! They have been gobbling here for the last week or two, I here them above the house when I am doing chores, but never see them. Acorns are too accessable maybe?
Old 03-19-2012, 01:46 PM
Spike

http://www.trmichels.com/PeakTurkeyGobbling.htm

Peak Turkey Gobbling Activity Chart

Some of us like to know when peak turkey gobbling activity occurs in the state we intend to hunt, so we know which dates to choose for hunt dates. There are two normal peaks in gobbling activity, one before peak breeding and one after peak breeding. The problem with predicting the dates of these two gobbling peaks is that unlike the rut of many antlered animals, which occurs at approximately the same time every year due to photoperiod, but may be changed by a major difference in weather conditions earlier that year; turkey breeding time-frames (as in many ground nesting birds) are dependent on photoperiod, and to a great extent on spring weather (meteorology/phenology) conditions. Normal turkey breeding dates may be pushed forward by early warm weather and emergence of forage, or be delayed by later than normal cool weather and lack of forage. Turkeys may also re-nest if their first nesting attempt doesn't produce young due to untimely cold or wet weather; this may result in another gobbling peak.

Last edited by TurkeySlayer75; 03-19-2012 at 01:47 PM. Reason: add website
Old 03-24-2012, 07:01 AM
Fork Horn

There pretty thick down in Union Hall ............just need them in Axton!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.