Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Early Season Strategy?

Old 03-06-2012, 01:26 PM
Typical Buck

Default Early Season Strategy?

This will be my second season of Turkey Hunting. ( self confessed rookie )

I hunt in North Central Kansas. Our season opens on the 11th of April and we have our hunt planned for the first few days. Last year, we saw plenty of birds and I did shoot a Gobbler, however, I had to resort to my deer hunting strategies and stalked one up.

I was able to call in a couple of Jakes but couln't seperate the Toms from their hens. One theory was since the hens haven't taken to a nest that early, all the Toms stuck tight with the girls.

As I plan for this year, what suggestions do you have for a good stategy in the early season? I like a good game plan.

Thanks in adavance.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:49 PM
Spike

Typically early season is a little more succesful (weather permitting) since Toms havn't been hunted too hard yet. As far as jakes coming in & the Toms sticking with the hens that happens alot all season long. I agree with Ridge Runner, generally try to get where the Turkeys natuarally want to go and that increases your odds alot. Be patient & hang near the flock and eventually, late morning/afternoon and you can usually pull them away at some point. OR if you have alot of Turkeys go after another that may not be henned up. I'm sure everyone had their own opinions but thats part of Turkey Hunting. Hang in there & you'll get them to come in. Good Luck this spring!!
Old 03-06-2012, 01:52 PM
EFH
Typical Buck

Early in the season they can stick with hens all day, your right. As far as a game plan, pattern them. Try to stick to a field of woodlot you know they use regular. Always easier to call one if your where he wants to go anyway. With that being said, in my experience you got to just plan as you go. Turkeys can be stubbern, smart, whatever you want to call it, just being turkeys! So for me stalking, ambushing, calling, wading creeks, is in the plan. I've been just as proud of turkeys I've snuck into shooting range and got, as of ones Ive called. If you were calling up jakes, than I think your calling was fine. It's more of a matter of getting on that bird that's ready. You did what you had to do to get one on the ground, IMO thats what makes a turkey hunter.
Hunt safe and good luck!
Old 03-06-2012, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Scout the area as much as you can. If possible, glass the birds and see where there going. Be where the birds want to be... Strut zones and feeding areas. Good luck and have fun.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:56 PM
EFH
Typical Buck

@ Ridge Runner, "find a live turkey, make him dead!" Hahaha!!! That's right, I'm gonna use that!
Old 03-06-2012, 06:52 PM
Typical Buck

I'm certainly no expert, but if the tom's are henned up, wouldn't the conventional wisdom be to call/antagonize the boss hen? Bring in the hens and the toms will follow.(Not that I've ever successfully pulled it off)
Old 03-07-2012, 12:28 PM
Typical Buck

"I like a good game plan.". That cracks me up! I do too, but I prefer a dead turkey! Turkey hunting is about adaptation and woodsmanship much more than a plan. It's about the dance between caller and bird. It's about the awakening of the woods through Spring. find a bird and stay after him. Figure him out. Just like us, they are all a little different. Some are easy marks. Others are tougher. The hard to kill birds make u a better hunter as well as producing better memories. Lastly, have fun!
Old 03-07-2012, 03:34 PM
Typical Buck

You should have plenty of birds to choose from given your location. I have hunted south central Kansas for years and even early in the season the hens have left the toms to nest later in the morning. Given this years warm temps I cant see this year being any different. If they dont respond first thing in the morning wait until the hens leave to nest and that gobbler should respond to your calls. Good luck