Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Question about poisonous snakes >

Question about poisonous snakes

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Question about poisonous snakes

Old 02-20-2012, 08:46 AM
Spike

Question Question about poisonous snakes

I think I am going to be doing a little turkey hunting in northern kentucky this spring. I'm from southern Indiana. I got permission to hunt and was wondering how nervous I should be about timber rattlers and copperheads? I plan on buying a very nice pair of snake. Boots. Any advice or info? Should I be scared?
Old 02-20-2012, 09:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Don't be scared.............be aware !

Good snake boots are important, keep a sharp eye as you walk in and where you decide to set-up.

You'll be fine.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have hunted in the deep south for 50+ years. Cotton Mouths, Timber Rattlers, and Copperheads are definitely here. And Diamondback Rattlers far south Alabama too. Even came across a Coral snake many, many years ago in SE Louisiana. Truly coming within striking range of a viper has to be rare. But caution is the word !

I can count on one hand the number of times I have known that I have accidentally come close enough to be struck by any of these. I am guessing there have been several times that I have not known how close I really was !!

I would not be "scared" ... just be cautious. Snake bite resistant boots are a good idea. Here's other things that I do in order to reduce my chances of being bitten.

Never step directly across a log or large rock. Step up on it and peer at the underside of the other side before you step off. Snakes like to hang in the crease where the log/rock meets the ground. If I am going to set up using a tree(s) as a hide, I look very carefully all around the base before taking a seat. I have found several snakes, including the one Coral snake, coiled up at the base of trees. And when I jump a creek, I make darned sure I am not jumping onto Mr. No Shoulders. I avoid tromping through brush piles too. Realistically there is no 100% way to not encounter these creatures. Most are so well camouflaged that you'll walk right by one and never know it was there. I guess the closest I have ever come to being struck was a "miss" by a Cotton Mouth. I was easing through a wet bottom flat and stepped across about a 2 1/2' long moccasin. He struck and missed ... and had only a slim second chance unless he could have hit a moving target !!! I used to be a fine "pulling guard" ... and am pretty sure I never made a move like that even when I was 20-21 !!
Old 02-20-2012, 05:01 PM
EFH
Typical Buck

I agree with Mojotex, just be cautious! Snakes in the woods here is just part of it. You'll be fine with some good boots. My dad also taught me as a kid like mentioned above, never step over logs, always step on them then on out! Watch where you sit, those copperheads blend in good! Can't remember who had the pics posted last year, maybe they'll read this and put it back up for you. See lots of cotton mouths and a few rattlers here and I'm not taking them lightly, but I'd rather fight them any day than the d*** skeeters!!!!
Old 02-20-2012, 05:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default setup

I agree with mojotex, take that extra 10 seconds to look where you put your arm when you sit down, even if you have a swinger 100 yds out and coming in fast. snake boots won't help if he hits you in the arm or face. also rattlesnakes are pit vipers and might key in on your body temperature especially on the cold mornings in the first part of the season. remember that turkeys arn't the only animals in the woods, i had a possum try to climb in my lap one morning and a friend had a bobcat tear up his decoy once. good luck.
dan
Old 02-21-2012, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

As everyone else has said, scared? No. Cautious? Absolutely! I killed more copperheads and coyotes while turkey hunting last year than turkeys! No need to reiterate the tips listed previously, but they are certainly good ones. If you have a good pair of snake boots, the most important thing is to check your setup area carefully. Be 110% sure there isn't anything where you are about to sit down. Besides, I like to move all the leaves away from the base of the tree I am setting up against anyway so that if I have to reposition myself a bit it doesn't make a bunch of noise. If you do that, you'll know for sure if there's a snake around it.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:17 PM
Fork Horn

My experience with Timber Rattlers is they are about the most docile snake you could hope for. They won't necessarily rattle to warn you, but they are not quick to bite. Copperheads where I live are abundant and have a little attitude, just watch where you sit or put your hands. Probably not the end of the world if one bites you, just sit down until the swelling goes down. If it turns out you are allergic to the venom, that's bad Cottonmouths scare the heck out of me because they often stand their ground (or advance on you). I watch where I step around water and give them a wide berth. They just look mean.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:11 PM
Fork Horn

Snakes are definately a part of turkey season. I have had snakes crawl right across my boots on two occassions. The worst encounter I ever had was a black snake though. He was crawling through honeysuckle vines about two feet off the ground. I heard him moving and turned to see what it was and at that instant his head popped out about 12 inches from my face. I couldn't even breath he scared me so bad.

Like someone else mentioned. I had to shue an opossium away once.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:26 AM
Fork Horn

Not as bad as duck hunting where you gotta deal with water moccasins. They dont even warn you they bite first ask questions later. And after they bite you the first time they keep going cause most people that get bit usually never see the snake and stand there wondering WTF was that. Then they get bit again.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Venomous snakes are a way of life hunting where I do. Heck, I had snake boots on during a javelina hunt down in South Texas last weekend. It was in the 70's and they could be moving. I have had several encounters over the years, but as said before, if you are cautious and look where you step and sit down, you shouldn't have any problems. Snake boots are a good investment even if you aren't in snaky areas, but if you have a lot of underbrush that can tear up your pants.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.