Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Tested 11 different 3" mags >

Tested 11 different 3" mags

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Tested 11 different 3" mags

Old 02-19-2012, 09:54 AM
Spike

Default Tested 11 different 3" mags

..... yesterday and have the sagging shoulder to prove it. Shot a total of 23 times. All at 30 yards on 22x28" white posterboard. Used an Indian Creek BD choke .660 ported/extended. Most brands were copperplated lead anywhere from 4-6 shot including Rem Duplex 4x6. Got kinda mind boggling after looking at so many patterns at the end of the day but I can say that it seemed the cheaper the ammo, the better it patterned???? Of the lead, the Winchester cheapos that were $6 for ten way out performed Win. Extended Range and Rem. Premier mags. The cheaper Rem. Nitro's were pretty much equivalent to the cheap Winchesters, very impressive patterns.

Then comes Hevi-Shot, which I've never tried at all and HOLY MOTHER @!%&J#J&(*$^*$&(%*(*$#%!. Yep, that about sums it up! Can't even compare lead to the performance of these loads. Shot the blend 5,6,7 then 5's, then 6's. Totally impressed but still feel that it's rediculous to spend around $5 per shot. Anyone have any concerns about the hevi loads taking a toll on the barrel life? I think there was great concern about that initially but seem to be a lot of people shooting them these days.

By the way the $20 sims recoil pad from Wally world is worth TWICE that amount
Old 02-19-2012, 10:28 AM
Typical Buck

I shoot the hevi shot magnum blend 5, 6, 7, its hard to beat. The only problem with it is $20 for a box of five
Old 02-19-2012, 10:44 AM
Fork Horn

Stick with the hevi-shot, how many shots will you really fire each season?
Old 02-19-2012, 11:04 AM
EFH
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Uncle Nicky
I agree, with the amount of shots I fire I don't mind spending a little extra on the magnum blends! It's the dang gas form my truck to get to the woods that I hate spending extra on!!! hahaha!!
Old 02-19-2012, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Uncle Nicky
Hevi-Shot Mag Blend here also. Great patterns and it will really reach out there.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try the Hevi 13. I shoot in both my 12 and 20 with a Wrights Superior Choke. ABSOLUTELY impressive!!!!!!!! Stewart set the bar for choke tubes with Hevi 13 and took 4 World records with his tubes. His 20ga tubes outperformed the 12's!!!! Hevi 13 out performs regular Hevi-Shot!!!!!! It is intended for turkey tubes and preformance.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:15 PM
Spike

I shoot the Hevi 13's 3.5 2.25oz #7. I*have done as you and killed my shoulder testing shells and chokes. Hands down, they pattern the best. The mag blends didn't pattern as well as the #7's and they kicked a LOT harder .
Old 02-19-2012, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Exactly. It's not like you are going on a dove shoot.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would love to try the Hevi-Shot blend, but I have so many rounds of the Nevi-Shot 13 in #5 & 6 to use first
Old 02-20-2012, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

My take on turkey loads is simple 4 or 5 or 6 shot, blends, Hevi shot, lead shot, copper plated lead, etc. .... if it patterns well, and gives good coverage at 40-45 yards or so, it's a keeper. About any 3 1/2" load will make me weep on the range .... however I have never noticed the recoil on the hunt !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.