Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey With A Bow

Old 02-16-2012, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Question Turkey With A Bow

Is it next to impossible to hunt Turkey without a blind? I rarely see anyone hunting them unless they are in a blind when using a bow. Anyone had much success doing this? If so how do you go about it without being busted?
Old 02-16-2012, 05:59 AM
Typical Buck

blind helps,
but is not mandatory,
do you need a blind to bow hunt turkeys? no
will you be as successful/effective without a blind as opposed to with a blind? no.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I could shoot them pretty regularly in archery deer season, either from a treestand or while still-hunting. Obvioulsy, I'm not calling them at this time of year as I'm deer hunting.

I'd say I could still-hunt them with good success in the spring too, but the fun of spring turkey hunting is the calling. I don't really want to ambush them in the spring. When you are calling, the bird is looking for you, and its hard to conceal all of the movement required to draw a bow without a blind. Anything is possible though.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:17 PM
Typical Buck

The drawing the bow back is where it gets tough. Its hard to hide all that movement. You can be alot more mobile with out a blind. Its harder but not impossible. Good luck if you try it this spring
Old 02-16-2012, 07:08 PM
Typical Buck

I shot my first three birds with a bow... None included a pop up blind. I users the big trees for the first, his fan for the second, and put a sneak on the third. It is hard though. I must have called 15 birds into gun range before I could take those three. I shoot a 12 ga now because for me the fun is in calling and watching more than the difficulty of the shot. Keep hunting fun and ethical and you will be fine either way.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:11 PM
Fork Horn

guess i got a ? to this post aside of the blind, wheres the best spot to hit the bird with a bow to ensure he doesn't run off, i know they're tough birds and a head shot with a bow can be tough unless using the guillotine, i shoot rage 3 blade, i've heard either up the butthole or through both wings, is this correct?
Old 02-17-2012, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've taken 2 turkeys with a bow without a blind- but it was a crossbow . The rest were taken with a blind. It is very tough to do, even with a blind. Turkeys have a very small vital zone and your shot placement has to be perfect. I had the best luck putting an arrow thru both shoulders (wing joints). This helped anchor the bird. The other turkeys I've taken with a bow have ran off a distance, and one had to be shot a second time....
Old 02-18-2012, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I will give it a try in the blind and skip trying to get one without,it seems the best way to bow hunt one. I have read that with the bow the spot you aim for is a broadside just below the joint of the wing in an area about the size of an orange. I will use the fixed Montec 1 1/8 cut broadhead for Turkey,I use Grim Reapers for Deer.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:08 AM
Spike

You do not need a blind I've been hunting gobblers for 20 years and never once used a blind. I've killed many birds and called in many others foe other guys. It is easier to draw in a blind but just be smart and use available cover. Wait till the bird is behind a tree or bush then draw. I hunt a run a gun style on pressured public land and a blind is impracticle when you hunt run n gun
Old 02-19-2012, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by wyomingguy
You do not need a blind I've been hunting gobblers for 20 years and never once used a blind. I've killed many birds and called in many others foe other guys. It is easier to draw in a blind but just be smart and use available cover. Wait till the bird is behind a tree or bush then draw. I hunt a run a gun style on pressured public land and a blind is impracticle when you hunt run n gun
I will give it a try and if I fail my blind is easy to move or deploy anywhere. Thanks for a hopeful comment,it sounds like your good at what and how you do it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.