Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

New to turkey hunting

Old 02-15-2012, 09:59 AM
Spike

Exclamation New to turkey hunting

Hi this is my first year hunting turkey. And I need some tips on this up comin hunt I know what gun I am using a side by side savage 12gauge but I have no calls and no experience with calling or hunting a turkey anny suggestions on the calls please no (mouth calls)
Old 02-15-2012, 10:22 AM
Fork Horn

Pattern your gun. Find your comfortable kill range.
Friction calls are easy and inexpensive. Stay away from custom calls. H.S. Strut, Knight and Hale, Madd, will all get the job done.
Get DVD's, read as much as you can, talk to veteran hunters if you can. Even better, go with a verteran Turkey hunter if you can. That's just scratchin' the surface.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:33 AM
Typical Buck

How long have you been hunting all other game? I ask because you just don't "go" turkey hunting. I suggest you start by checking out the safety thread listed at the top of the main turkey hunting forums page.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just start reading this forum. It is loaded with the info you're looking for.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:14 PM
Spike

thanks I normally hunt deer
Old 02-15-2012, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

Baldeagle,

You can just "GO" turkey hunting. It may not yield the best results, but you can get turkeys that way! Deer toe, I posted a call question last week and got some great responses and help. Look that thread up!
-Jake
Old 02-15-2012, 01:51 PM
Typical Buck

Hardest part of calling. Is not calling.
Putting that slate down and waiting.
Watching videos help to hear what the different calls sound like,
But remember its a video, so they may be calling every 5 mins on the video, and not showing the pauses in between. but in reality, they are waiting 15-30 mins between calls.
If a turkey is 1/2 - 1 mile away, it may take him a while to get within calling range, then its another type of call to lure him close.
And do brush up on turkey hunting safety.
Lots of stupid accidents with hunters shooting other hunters.
How one mistakens a 6' +200 lb guy in a giley suit for a 2' 20 lb turkey I don't know. But happens
Old 02-15-2012, 02:24 PM
Fork Horn

try to get a mentor.....my friend and i started hunting together a few years ago but we never had anyone to teach us, we had to learn everything ourselves...so best advice tag along with someone who knows what their doing.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:50 PM
j76
Typical Buck

My advice, don't worry about calls at first ( maybe cause i suck at it), to me a call or decoy is a backup plan or a tool for closing the distance. Scout, scout scout!!! Know where they are and where they will be at what time. If you can be in the right spot when they want to be there, a 5 yr old scratchin a couple yelps on a 10 dollar box call can look like a pro. The best caller with the best call in the wrong spot will come up empty most of the time.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:31 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Baldeagle,

You can just "GO" turkey hunting. It may not yield the best results, but you can get turkeys that way! Deer toe, I posted a call question last week and got some great responses and help. Look that thread up!
-Jake
Just "going" is what gets people shot. You can just hit the woods and learn but you better be on private land doing so. Spend more time learning what NOT to do rather than how to call or patterning your gun.

Woodsmanship is a large part of turkey hunting (unless you like to sit next to a feeder in a blind......blah).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.