Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

shotgun advice needed

Old 02-13-2012, 01:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default shotgun advice needed

I have only turkey hunted a few times, so I have a 12 gauge for turkeys. Now my stepson wants me to take him turkey hunting this spring. I am confused about what I should get him, a 12 ga or 20ga? I was thinking a 20gauge with full choke. But guy at a local shop said I should get him a 12ga. He is 10 years old kinda skinny and I want to start him out right and not make him gun shy. So guys and gals can you help me out.

Thanks
Croc
Old 02-13-2012, 02:05 PM
EFH
Typical Buck

Sounded like you had the right idea to begin with to me. Took my first couple with a 20ga, worked fine!
Old 02-13-2012, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Gun shop guy is full of BS. Unless this kid has experienced at least moderate recoil, a typical 2 3/4" heavy load will stomp his skinny self him flat and probably scare the pee out of him.

A 20 ga., 3" turkey loads and a full choke, or "special" turkey choke are a great combination for gobbler getting. Recoil of a 20 ga. 3" turkey load is not timid however. Heck of a lot less that a typical 12 ga. for sure, but still a pretty good whop for an inexperienced shooter. You got a .410 he can practice with? This will get him used to a decent bit of recoil and might give confidence in using a heavier load.

If practical for you to do so, I'd be sure to do the best I could as far as fitting his length of pull. If you are not sure if the kid will get into hunting, you might consider an inexpensive (relatively??) single shot and have the stock cut down to fit him.

Anyway, have fun and enjoy the experience.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:07 PM
Spike

I also agree with the others. A 20ga. at most. At that age if you give him something that either doesn't fit his size or knocks the crap out of him, he will become gun shy for a very long time and will take all the possible fun you two could have for years to come.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

A 20 gauge should work perfectly fine. Pattern your load, know your range and there shouldn't be any issue. But, I will say this. My first shotgun was a 12 gauge. I grew up shooting a .22 and got my first 12 gauge at ten years old. My dad taught me how to hold, shoot and follow through properly, and recoil was never an issue. NOW, when shooting clay pigeons I was done after a box of shells. I couldn't shoot the thing all day. But for some practice shots, and for a hunting situation, especially a turkey hunt where one shot is usually what it takes, I wouldn't be afraid to try him out on a 12 gauge. Have him shoot yours and see how it goes.
-Jake
Old 02-13-2012, 07:51 PM
Fork Horn

I have a 20 gauge with a jellyhead choke and i shoot 3" shells out of there. It'll put em in the dirt
Old 02-14-2012, 03:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I recall correctly, Mossberg has a youth gun that includes several spacers so you can get the gun to fit correctly. When the kid gets bigger, you send in a card that comes with the gun, and they send you a standard buttstock for free. I'd go with that, and even consider adding a quality recoil pad. Also, I'd go with a 20 Ga.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Turkeys are not hard to kill.A 20 will knock the snot out of the biggest Tom that ever lived out to 35yds probably a little farther depending on choke,load.According to the NWTF the average shot distance is 30yds.

Last edited by JW; 02-14-2012 at 05:50 AM. Reason: Added the letter 'N' - JW
Old 02-15-2012, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by UncleNorby
If I recall correctly, Mossberg has a youth gun that includes several spacers so you can get the gun to fit correctly. When the kid gets bigger, you send in a card that comes with the gun, and they send you a standard buttstock for free. I'd go with that, and even consider adding a quality recoil pad. Also, I'd go with a 20 Ga.
You can get a youth model Mossberg 500 20 ga that comes with a voucher to receive a free full size stock later on. Pretty good option. And, a 20 ga is not only plenty, but definitely the gun to go with for a skinny 10 year old.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:47 AM
Spike

I got my girl a 20, youth model that will kick the snot out of even me every time I shoot it. It's brutal, right up there with my 12. Find a 20 and 12 and let him try them both. Stay away from 3" mags for a while, make sure he has on a heavy coat for padding when practicing. Stay away from single shots until you're sure he can hold onto a gun when it fires. The hammers on singles are in a very dangerous place when the gun recoils all the way up and back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.