Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Need Help Spring Turkey Hunting >

Need Help Spring Turkey Hunting

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Need Help Spring Turkey Hunting

Old 08-21-2003, 11:53 PM

Default Need Help Spring Turkey Hunting

I am from minnesota and will hopefully be going spring turkey hunting next spring and need some advice. i am only 15 me and my dad plan on turkey hunting and neither of us have hunted them yet

so far all i have for equipment is just a slate call. its called the alabama cackler.

what else will i need to buy for hunting these birds?

about how much do decoys cost?

what other calls should i get?

thanks for any advice
Old 08-22-2003, 12:30 PM

Default RE: Need Help Spring Turkey Hunting

You should get a locator call--crow, owl, or both.

You need camo clothes, from head to foot, plus a face mask.

Decoys run under $20, and you can get one to three, to begin. Visit Cabela' s, if you' re in Southern MN.

I' d also recommend a box call, like QuakerBoy' s Grand Old Master.

If you are willing and able, get a mouth diaphragm and an instructional tape, and practice, practice, practice, from now until next spring.

Check out your local public library for turkey instructional video tapes, watch the outdoor shows that feature turkey hunts, maybe even check out books on turkey hunting from the library, its all good.

Pattern your guns so you know you have a good, tight pattern, and so you know where your gun shoots.

You and your dad are about to enter into a world where passion begins. Turkey hunting is addictive, exciting, and great fun.

Don' t forget you have to put in for a lottery draw for 2004 spring turkey hunting in Minnesota yet this fall. Its marked on my calendar for November 1st. Pick an early season, depending on your schedule. There are obviously more turkeys to shoot at in the early season than later on, and, depending on the spring weather, usually the toms are more responsive in the first few weeks thant they are later on, of course, that is not always the case, but is generally a true rule. (Of course, it is also more difficult to get drawn for the earlier seasons, since everyone applies during those times.)

Take advantage of the Hunter Education programs that the state offers. You' ll learn a lot about turkey hunting from those classes, too.

Remember, too, to hunt safe and to be safe in the woods.
Old 08-22-2003, 01:03 PM

Check out this site for help getting started

http://www.turkeyhuntingsecrets.com/...y/libindex.htm
Old 08-22-2003, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

You may want to reconsider hunting turkeys, its totally addictive. Once you have one respond to your calling, you' re in it for life! Snowdog put together a pretty good list for starters. Make sure you get an extra full choke tube too. Read all you can, check out books and websites, and practice calling. Push button calls are good for beginners too.

Good luck!
Old 08-22-2003, 10:54 PM

You might want to get a Screaming Peacock locator call as they really work well. Also think about a turkey hunting vest with a seat cushion.

If you know where you want to hunt, start scouting as soon as possible. Seeing where they are in the fall will be a help in the spring, and early spring scouting is even more important. I' ve always thought that the best spring hunting is later in the breeding season after most of the hens are nesting. It' s easier to get a tom to come in then when he isn' t with his hens. Good luck.
Old 08-23-2003, 07:43 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-23-2003, 10:40 AM
Fork Horn

While you can invest in decoys, their use is debatable. Many turkey have been taken without the use of decoys. There is an ongoing debate about whether they are productive or cause the birds to " hang up."

Also, as the earlier post mentioned, invest in a crow, owl, and peacock locator calls. Also, consider a coyote howler too.

Find a couple of good instructional videos and/or books and learn from the pros.

And finally, it can' t be stressed enough....practice, practice, practice your calling and learn to be patient! Patience is the key.
Old 08-24-2003, 08:31 AM

Hi Lang.

Ill wade in here and give you the benefit of my experiences.

First...Camo clothes, a mask, and camo gloves. Thats the MOST important thing.
Second, a tape of turkey calling. Just learn clucks and cackles. Don' t try to be a world class caller to start.
Third, pattern your gun.

Ive hunted turkeys for years with no appreciable benefit or hurt from decoys. Some guys love em, some hate em, I think to start out its more " stuff to carry" . Id pass in the beginning.

Locator calls and all that are cool but do you need it? Not in my opinion...Crows will always cry out in the AM, Owls hoot, and when they do, just listen.

Go sit in the woods, sit still, listen, watch, and call occasionally and softly...You dont need to look like a portable Cabelas Catalog to be a Turkey hunter.
Old 08-24-2003, 10:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lang another welcome here..You' ve been given some good detailed advice here.
Looking back over the years one thing that still remains the same even with all the modern day equipment available to todays turkey hunter is learning how to set-up on a gobbler.This was the real key for me as a new turkiey hunter years back!You can be the best dressed,most well equipped hunter in the woods but it wont do you a bit of good in a set-up that is improper.Even the best turkey hunter/callers in the country use tact in there set-ups.They dont just sit down in front of the first big tree they come across and start calling in longbeards.They move in close say a hundred yards or less if given the opportunity,and hopefully on the same plane or level of ground.They look for opportunties with the easiest path of resistance that the bird has to travel in coming in.They try and position themselves in front of the gobbler between him and where he' s going.They avoid overhiding to where you cant get a shot and avoid overcalling!Knowing the lay of the land and pattern of the birds can help immensely in this regard.Folks that harvest longbeards year in and year out not only do their homework in the sporting goods department,reading books/mags,watching videos, time spent on the putor,etc,but they put time in the woods too or they have someone do it for them such as in my case in being a guide!!The birds themselves are the best teachers and your persistance afield helps in creating experience and thats what more than anything else will help you become a better turkey hunter!!Good luck and enjoy the time spent with dad in the spring turkey woods!!
Old 08-25-2003, 09:25 AM

Lang_0687

Westbronco is right, and I should have said something about scouting, too. Scouting is very important. I usually spend several days in the woods before the season, when hunting new or unfamiliar territory, to get the lay of the land and to monitor the birds' daily habits. Last spring, on a whim, I hunted unfamiliar territory in NE MO and got burned by my unfamiliarity with the habitat, to my dismay (which dismay continues to this day). But I don' t think monitoring the fall or winter flocks is necessarily beneficial to spring turkey hunting, except to give you a general sense of the bird population. For years a flock has " wintered" at my mother-in-law' s country home woods, but they always moved off to another location come springtime until recently, when (I think) the population grew so large they outgrew their spring habitat and now can be found in both locations.
Yet, if you have time in the fall and winter to scout, it can' t hurt, and it is fun, and you might learn something about the birds. For instance, you might discover year-round roost sites, you' ll learn to read sign, and you will learn the terrain.

I also agree about getting a pushbutton. My son called his first bird with a pushbutton, when he was 13 years old. They are easy to master, produce quality sound, and, obviously, they work!!

Good luck in the draw!!

Quick Reply: Need Help Spring Turkey Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.