Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Got fired up this morning >

Got fired up this morning

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Got fired up this morning

Old 01-28-2012, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Got fired up this morning

I went to my property this morning to look for turkeys or turkey sign. Well, I found it. I saw 3 longbeards, 5 jakes, and 16 hens. Not all together of course. I haven't seen this many in one day in years on my place. We have finally had good hatches two years in a row, and it's now paying off. With all the clearcutting going on in the parish, turkey numbers have been declining for years. I have still managed to kill one or two longbeards on my place each season, with the exception of maybe two or three, but with everyone chasing the same birds, it can be downright tough. These good hatches are a welcome sight. I was walking down one of my roads and saw the three longbeards. I immediately dropped to the ground and laid down flat. The three birds walked by me within 15 yards before they saw me. They never really spooked. Just putted a few times and went on their way. Of course I picked the one day not to bring my video camera. This number of birds may not seem significant to some, but with the number of birds we have had, this is a sight for sore eyes. I believe there are a couple more longbeards in the area other than these three, so this season can't get here soon enough. Man I love turkeys!
Old 01-28-2012, 12:45 PM
EFH
Typical Buck

Sounds good! Hope you get to pepper a couple of those heads this spring! Good luck
Old 01-28-2012, 02:08 PM
car
Typical Buck

Sounds like you're going to have a good season.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

deleted deleted deleted

Last edited by Mr. Longbeard; 01-30-2012 at 08:46 AM.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

You just can't stand it, can you?