Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
I could use a Little Help... >

I could use a Little Help...

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

I could use a Little Help...

Old 12-12-2011, 10:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default I could use a Little Help...

This is my backyard.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:06 AM
Fork Horn

And this is a problem? Send me a PM, I'm sure I can help.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:28 PM
Fork Horn

It is a problem when they roost right outside your office window. However, sometimes they join the deer and make for a nice picture. Note the three bucks, a doe and fawns and a small family flock one morning in late Spetember.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:42 PM
JW
Super Moderator

So what help do you need?

JW
Old 12-12-2011, 01:13 PM
Inactive

Great pics. If it's help you need to thing out the flocks and the herd, I'll gladly volunteer.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is a problem for you? I sure wish I had that problem. If you need help in exterminating those pesky creatures this Spring, I'm your man. BTW, they won't be there that thick come springtime, but there should be a few still around. I'll be anxiously waiting for an invite this Spring to help you with your problem.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:45 PM
Fork Horn

Super- They have been that thick every spring for the last few years. They split up some but it is not uncommon to see six or eight longbeards strutting in a field right in the middle of the season. The three flocks here close to the house number around 200 birds. A year ago we trapped and transplanted 80 and it didn't even make a dint in them.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't doubt you still have quite a few in the Spring. Where is your property?
Old 12-13-2011, 04:30 AM
Fork Horn

LOL...still waiting on my PM. What kind of help do you need?
Old 12-13-2011, 11:22 AM
Fork Horn

Sorry, I had to get busy and get my newspaper column done and the pictures pulled.

Now.

The help I need is two-fold. I need to find a way to educate the surrounding neighbors as to the perils of feeding the dang things. and I need a way to reduce the total number by about 75% without hunting. Hunting just won't get rid of enough birds to do any good. You have to keep in mind, I live almost in town. The city limit run through my back yard. However, hunting is permitted in the city limits. But once those birds get across the road and into the yards, you can't shoot them for safety reasons.

I can kill four in the spring-all gobblers and six in the fall if I play it right, either sex. That does nothing. I can't invite anyone because my landowner will not premit it. Sometimes that is a blessing

Here is just how bad it is. The landowner put out 50# of corn in his feed bunkers. In two hours it was gone and none of it went to a cow.

So...I need a legal, effective way to reduce the three flocks to 50-50 birds. As far as I can tell, short of a disease, it is impossible.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.